Some of my Acro Collection

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious with all the bacteria focus you have I don't think I’ve read you talk much about carbon dosing. Do you have any experience with it or thoughts? My understanding right now is the positive of growing bacteria faster but a negative of not knowing exactly what bacteria is growing… so seems like a constant gamble of whether the good or bad guys are benefiting? Maybe a combination of carbon dosing and dosing known beneficial bacteria could be advantageous?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious with all the bacteria focus you have I don't think I’ve read you talk much about carbon dosing. Do you have any experience with it or thoughts? My understanding right now is the positive of growing bacteria faster but a negative of not knowing exactly what bacteria is growing… so seems like a constant gamble of whether the good or bad guys are benefiting? Maybe a combination of carbon dosing and dosing known beneficial bacteria could be advantageous?
Well I don’t carbon dose directly into my system to try and avoid this risk. I only dose carbon sources into my mix which is made in a separate vessel with all the probiotic bacteria. I also use freshly made sw to avoid anything unwanted as well. I think this targeted carbon dosing helps alleviate those issues, but it could still be a possibility that unwanted organisms can proliferate.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t carbon dose directly into my system to try and avoid this risk. I only dose carbon sources into my mix which is made in a separate vessel with all the probiotic bacteria. I also use freshly made sw to avoid anything unwanted as well. I think this targeted carbon dosing helps alleviate those issues, but it could still be a possibility that unwanted organisms can proliferate.
Thats a great idea, I just re-read your explaination of "marinating" it. Makes sense, so then your kind of pre-growing the "benefical" bacteria before dosing it with carbon. All hypothetical but I like it lol

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats a great idea, I just re-read your explaination of "marinating" it. Makes sense, so then your kind of pre-growing the "benefical" bacteria before dosing it with carbon. All hypothetical but I like it lol
Yea that is my theory, I landed on this due to fact that I saw an enhanced feeding response when I waited for 8 hours or longer vs immediately using it.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Added this one back to my collection, MattV Orange Envy!

_DSC8597.JPG

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had handful of people reaching out to me in regards to my concoction.
This is what I landed on
E52BC8EA-3720-497F-9233-5273418B6680.jpeg

Again, I’d like to reiterate that people should not rush out and buy these products because I said so. You should assess your own systems needs and inhabitants before spending money on all these products. However, you your goals align with mine then this concoction may help you on your journey!

BTW, the podcast is now on youtube, you can check it out by clicking this link!

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I’ve had handful of people reaching out to me in regards to my concoction.
This is what I landed on
E52BC8EA-3720-497F-9233-5273418B6680.jpeg

Again, I’d like to reiterate that people should not rush out and buy these products because I said so. You should assess your own systems needs and inhabitants before spending money on all these products. However, you your goals align with mine then this concoction may help you on your journey!

BTW, the podcast is now on youtube, you can check it out by clicking this link!

Hey buddy, thanks for the post. This is a crazy mix for sure and I don't doubt it does the job! Great work.

As far as the carbon source. What are you using to provide it because I don't see it in the products you outlined above.

Thanks

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey buddy, thanks for the post. This is a crazy mix for sure and I don't doubt it does the job! Great work.

As far as the carbon source. What are you using to provide it because I don't see it in the products you outlined above.

Thanks
i believe the coral vitality is a carbon source.
I also have on hand
Aquaforest np pro
Kz zeofood
The aminos also act as a carbon source. I also think the other products also act as carbon sources too

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i believe the coral vitality is a carbon source.
I also have on hand
Aquaforest np pro
Kz zeofood
The aminos also act as a carbon source. I also think the other products also act as carbon sources too
Great. Thank you.
Do you have a ratio fordosing this slurry or do you just go by the instructions of each label?
Also. How long do you let it sit before dosing. I saw somewher that zeobak and zeosym 8 hours before dosing. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great. Thank you.
Do you have a ratio fordosing this slurry or do you just go by the instructions of each label?
Also. How long do you let it sit before dosing. I saw somewher that zeobak and zeosym 8 hours before dosing. Thanks in advance
Follow the guidelines on the products, if this is your first foray into this type of dosing then you should start at half dose. Mix your ingredients and dilute with fresh saltwater, then let rest for 8 hours. After 8 hours you can use. Refrigerate what’s not used and finish within 3 days.

Monitor your system as you administer the concoction and make changes as necessary. This method is best applied in dense systems but you can tweak the ratios to fit your needs.

I can’t say how it’ll affect your system as all tanks are different and depending on the biomass within your system the dynamics will be different.

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@coral reeftank Just came along to say Thank you! What a great interview with Adam and will definitely need to listen to it at least 5+ times. Finally discovered this thread and it will keep me reading for weeks. Thank you for your contributions to the hobby.

A few questions on your mix. Have you identified which component's are "essential" or "highly effective". For example I'd think some of the aminos could be interchangeable for example using Red Sea AB+ instead of the FM ones. Or benepets could be used instead of Coral Sprint. This would give people flexibility to have a base recipe and add their preferred aminos/particulate food.

Have you tried adding any calcium carbonate to the mix to make into more of a snow?

It seems like ZeoZym is only available through BRS and is out of stock is there any similar products? Do we know what's in it? The description reads similar to Chemiclean but highly doubt its any kind of antibiotic.

Any recommendations on time of day you dose? I would think either after lights out or before lights in morning while feeders are out?

Have you tried any of the PNS Probio products in the mix?

Last thing, you may consider is typing out the ingredients into a post so you can tweak and update as you make revisions to your feeding regime.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@coral reeftank Just came along to say Thank you! What a great interview with Adam and will definitely need to listen to it at least 5+ times. Finally discovered this thread and it will keep me reading for weeks. Thank you for your contributions to the hobby.

A few questions on your mix. Have you identified which component's are "essential" or "highly effective". For example I'd think some of the aminos could be interchangeable for example using Red Sea AB+ instead of the FM ones. Or benepets could be used instead of Coral Sprint. This would give people flexibility to have a base recipe and add their preferred aminos/particulate food.

Have you tried adding any calcium carbonate to the mix to make into more of a snow?

It seems like ZeoZym is only available through BRS and is out of stock is there any similar products? Do we know what's in it? The description reads similar to Chemiclean but highly doubt its any kind of antibiotic.

Any recommendations on time of day you dose? I would think either after lights out or before lights in morning while feeders are out?

Have you tried any of the PNS Probio products in the mix?

Last thing, you may consider is typing out the ingredients into a post so you can tweak and update as you make revisions to your feeding regime.

The concoction is comprised of
  • Bacteria
  • Particulate Food
  • Carbon Source
  • Trace Elements
  • Zeozym

You can choose any product to fulfill those requirements. I have found some to be more useful than others, but the recipe does vary due to seasonality and what I have available on hand. The effects aren't too varied as long as you have at least the 5 components I listed. You may have different reactions depending on the dosage of each product, but that should be best left to individual to decide for their system. They should monitor their N and P to see that there is adequate nutrient cycling and that Nitrate does not remain elevated for prolonged periods in time.

I have not added in Calcium carbonate, but from my understanding it is nothing more than an inert powder that serves as way to transport bacteria. It is used to dust surfaces. The zeozym and some of the particulates do not completely dissolve so I feel that there is less of an incentive to use Calcium carbonate. However, if you do decide to add it in, let me know how it goes.

Zeozym acts like an enzyme, I don't think its an antibiotic and it definitely does expedite the processing of decaying matter. If you make the concoction, put in the zeozym last. When you finally put in the zeozym is when you'll really notice a chemical reaction take place. Due to this, it will also bring down the PH in the mixing vessel. With the amount of zeozym I use in my mix, the concoction has a PH of around 5.
When dosing into the tank I have sprayed it directly over corals, but to ere on the side of caution I would avoid direct contact, and to broadcast feed in front of a powerhead.

I've fed the concoction during all parts of the day, no need to limit yourself to a specific time. Eventually you can train your corals to feed at any point of the day. However, when you're first starting to use the concoction I would recommend you to dose at night. That way the corals are optimized for prey capture.

No PNS Pro Bio yet, but definitely interested in the product!

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have advice for taking good photography? Are your photos taken through the front glass?
I use a top down port-hole. This way I stick my lens below the surface.

Some good starting pointers would be to

• get a top down port hole for your camera
  • adjust camera settings and white balance
  • invest in some post-editing software (Lightroom)
  • Practice, Practice, Practice
  • And if you can get yourself a nice macro lens that would be great! I use a 105mm nikorr macro

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Great write up @coral reeftank. I just mixed up the concoction and added KZ coral snow to it . I mixed up everything in a 500 mo bottle and now I'm letting it sit overnight and will be dosing tomorrow morning.

I basically added all ingredients based on my 259 gallon tank size and products instructions.

Should I dump all of it at once or should split it into few nights so I don't have to shock the system??

Thanks

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great write up @coral reeftank. I just mixed up the concoction and added KZ coral snow to it . I mixed up everything in a 500 mo bottle and now I'm letting it sit overnight and will be dosing tomorrow morning.

I basically added all ingredients based on my 259 gallon tank size and products instructions.

Should I dump all of it at once or should split it into few nights so I don't have to shock the system??

Thanks
I’d split into two servings

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I administered two doses and everything died. Just kidding lol. No.difference as of the moment and my nitrate and phosphate didn't bother. Po4 was 0.07 and it still at the same spot so as the no4: 8ppm

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 57 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back