OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out the difference that the concoction can do!

_DSC8030.JPG

Picture taken in August, when consistently dosing concoction 1-2x a week

_DSC8632-2.JPG

Today, after I stopped feeding for 2 months. You can see how the coral adapted to the environmental changes. The polyps are most noticeable, with a distinct change in shape and appearance. The polyps are much fuller when consistently fed vs not.

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the names of corals standardized or anyone can name it what they like?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are the names of corals standardized or anyone can name it what they like?
The standardized names would refer to the coral's binomial nomenclature, i.e Acropora speciosa.
The names we see typically given to corals are their trade names, this is primarily done so that people can track the lineage of their pieces. It gives a good idea on how the coral has made its way through hobby and how well it has adapted over time. The pieces that I name are ones that I've conditioned and aquacultured.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time to read up and apply what you've learned! :)

Definitely great papers displaying the ability of corals to eat, and what they choose to consume and the importance of nutrients in a reef.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Found a modified way to this method. As OP said. This method requires an loaded high demanding tanks. When adding the concoction all at once it definitely will raise up your nutrients especially PO4. I noticed some algae started to take how couple of day after dosing it.

Now what I do is mix 500ml worth of liquid. And dose 100ml a day at night.

I notice no drastic change to the nutrients. Actually it went a bit down.

Corals are responding well to it.

I do not refregiraye the mix at all. I give it a good shake before dosing everytime. So far so great.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you just eyeballing your bacteria mix or do you measure the components at all?
Typically I dose per instructions in regards to the bacteria, but this is due to my dense systems. I'd recommend anyone who is starting to start slow. If you feed heavy/have a higher biomass in your system you can do more, but this is on a case by case basis.
Dear @coral reeftank ,
Many thanks for the useful information and congrats for the interview.

By the way, I started today the proposed idea of feeding that you suggest. I’ll give you some feedback in a few months!
Cheers!

IMG_2613.jpeg
Awesome system! Keep me posted on how this works for you!
Found a modified way to this method. As OP said. This method requires a loaded high demanding tanks. When adding the concoction all at once it definitely will raise up your nutrients especially PO4. I noticed some algae started to take how couple of day after dosing it.

Now what I do is mix 500ml worth of liquid. And dose 100ml a day at night.

I notice no drastic change to the nutrients. Actually it went a bit down.

Corals are responding well to it.

I do not refregiraye the mix at all. I give it a good shake before dosing everytime. So far so great.
Yes, this concoction will result in a temporary spike in nutrients, but if done properly and paired with proper nutrient/export/biomass you'll see these values decrease back to baseline in a relatively short time. You can go back a few pages on this thread and read about how my nutrient fluctuations when I first started experimenting. If your nutrients become too high for your liking, you can reduce the proportion of food you add into the concoction as this nutrient influx is due to the food input. By reducing the food amount, you'll allow the bacteria to process more of the food.

Another note, I've found that if you leave the concoction out for 1+ days, you'll notice a film form on the surface, the sediment will also become stiffer. This is due to the bacterial biofilms. Be sure to give the concoction a shake to get all the bacteria suspended in the water column again. This method is a pretty nifty way to curate a live feed for your corals, and at the same time will help the nutrient processing in your system!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back