Something Different... d2's FRESHWATER PLANTED build!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put moss in mine and regret it , had a little case of black beard algae I'm dealing with from a stupid java fern . I actually made my tank shortly after reading your thread and got me back into it a little . I did a lot of botanicals and leaf litter on the bottom for apistogramma breeding . Anubias grow really good and love crypt lutea a lot. I almost set up the whole thing for the price of 2 wrasses so it's a win lol great looking tank !!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put moss in mine and regret it , had a little case of black beard algae I'm dealing with from a stupid java fern . I actually made my tank shortly after reading your thread and got me back into it a little . I did a lot of botanicals and leaf litter on the bottom for apistogramma breeding . Anubias grow really good and love crypt lutea a lot. I almost set up the whole thing for the price of 2 wrasses so it's a win lol great looking tank !!
I have some blackbeard on the rock and wood. Carbon dosing now, trying to kill it off.
Had some green cyano showing up but I turned my lights off for a few days and dosed some hydrogen peroxide. Seems to have gotten rid of it. For the time being anyway.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hows this tank going ? Lots of water changes , amano shrimp and my blackbeard has disappeared . However the moss thst I thought caused it ,(I thought that I took it all out )is growing now and actually looks good . So win win . Also picked up a stunner male apisto at the store and he looks great with lights and the greenery
20200726_173844.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s humming along. The doser has been fully set up and running so I’ve always got a fresh input of nitrates, phosphates and micros, along with Easy Carbo. All Blackbeard is gone except for one rock for some reason. All cyano has been gone. Here’s a couple recent videos.

Last edited:

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Dennis!

Have you lost many fish to jumping?

I know the rimless tanks are best displayed with an open top, but I've lost too many fish over the years to go that route comfortably.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Dennis!

Have you lost many fish to jumping?

I know the rimless tanks are best displayed with an open top, but I've lost too many fish over the years to go that route comfortably.
I lost a few rainbows early on, but oddly enough it's been quite some time since I've lost any fish, knock on wood. Even some newer ones I've put in have stayed put.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. Such a stunning tank. I've kept high tech planted tanks and not long ago that lead me trying out reefing. Apparently I've since forgotten how beautiful planted tanks can be, so thank you for that reminder! I only ever had small planted tanks, but a large planted tank like your's has always been on my bucket list.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. Such a stunning tank. I've kept high tech planted tanks and not long ago that lead me trying out reefing. Apparently I've since forgotten how beautiful planted tanks can be, so thank you for that reminder! I only ever had small planted tanks, but a large planted tank like your's has always been on my bucket list.

giphy.gif
Thanks! :)

wrasse hole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you compare keeping a planted tank to reef keeping?

I've recently become interested in planted tanks, and I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge. It seems more natural and artistic than reef keeping, but I'm worried that I'd grow bored eventually. Part of me feels like it would be a relaxing break from reef keeping since I would no longer worry about a stringent maintenance schedule, complicated automation, and ever-looming risk of losing thousands in livestock during a tank crash.

Amazing tank by the way!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of me feels like it would be a relaxing break from reef keeping since I would no longer worry about a stringent maintenance schedule, complicated automation, and ever-looming risk of losing thousands in livestock during a tank crash.
Ya, you pretty much summed it up. ;Hilarious
One of my main reason was I felt a little bored with reefing... was looking for a new challenge.
I definitely got that. Some things carry over but other things are much different and require new skills and new ways of thinking about things.
But at the same time, I can ignore the tank for a week and pretty much nothing happens. lol
I've gotten really bad... I barely remember to feed the fish.

Eventually I'll probably have another reef tank. It's more interesting day to day. But for now I'm enjoying the break.
I think I'm eventually going to empty this tank, do hardscape only, and have just those big fat fancy goldfish. :D

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your tank up for sale. Another reef tank in the plans?
In a year! Sold our house and will be in a rent house until we build something new. :)
Those new Waterbox Pro Max tanks are pretty sweet. ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back