Something Different... d2's FRESHWATER PLANTED build!

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beauty tank! Trying out the planted side of FW myself for the first time. Is there a favorite site or 2 you use for this hobby? Im really focused on parameters/test kits/fert right now. Thanks!
For whatever reason freshwater has moved away from forums.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a couple months since any pics. How about some new pics?
Dang, time flies! :oops:
Lost the blue rams, the water was just too cold. But I picked up a few Parkensoni and Turquoise Rainbows.
Also got 50+ Amano shrimp for algae control. At $4 a pop that was some expensive algae control! ;Greedy Luckily they're are doing their job.

i-zdGSQs7-XL.jpg

i-tKVkTzG-XL.jpg

i-fKdkfxS-XL.jpg

i-fKW9XSw-XL.jpg

i-fFVThz6-XL.jpg

i-KRfHNx2-XL.jpg

i-jBQXsfJ-XL.jpg

i-nvnCLKR-XL.jpg

i-GFV7wjB-XL.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, time flies! :oops:
Lost the blue rams, the water was just too cold. But I picked up a few Parkensoni and Turquoise Rainbows.
Also got 50+ Amano shrimp for algae control. At $4 a pop that was some expensive algae control! ;Greedy Luckily they're are doing their job.

i-zdGSQs7-XL.jpg

i-tKVkTzG-XL.jpg

i-fKdkfxS-XL.jpg

i-fKW9XSw-XL.jpg

i-fFVThz6-XL.jpg

i-KRfHNx2-XL.jpg

i-jBQXsfJ-XL.jpg

i-nvnCLKR-XL.jpg

i-GFV7wjB-XL.jpg
That is simply stunning!

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to do the red Sea 900 for planeted tank

I must not understand but my freshwater I used to siphon gravel. Is that not a thing anymore cause no way u can siphon that and keep it that neat
The substrate (sand aside) should eventually end up completely covered with carpeting plants, which don't really need to be siphoned!

All he will really need to siphon is the sand section to keep it pristine looking

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on another beautiful tank Dennis. So is it still keeping your attention after 6+ months or are you ready for a reef again?
Thanks! It's only about 5 months old now. I'm still trying to figure things out! lol
Getting ready to start dosing now and it's not as straight forward as reefing. ;Bookworm

Still keeping the ghl I see. Good taste. Lol
Yessir!

I'd love to do the red Sea 900 for planeted tank

I must not understand but my freshwater I used to siphon gravel. Is that not a thing anymore cause no way u can siphon that and keep it that neat
Not with a planted tank. This is soil, not gravel. Mine is a manufactured soil that comes in a round pellet form and is "activated" with nutrients for the plants. Some people use straight up potting soil, the Walstad Method. So yeah... no siphoning.

That is simply stunning!
Thanks! :)

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My planted is the walstad method. Super duper simple.

I have been neglecting it though. Need to do a water change. How are you keeping duckweed out of your system?

I didn't see any on anything I added, but I have a boatload of it now of course.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been neglecting it though. Need to do a water change. How are you keeping duckweed out of your system?

I didn't see any on anything I added, but I have a boatload of it now of course.
I dunno, I just don't have it. I didn't even know that was a thing.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis all your plants where in vitro plants right? You will not see it using vitro plants mostly comes from plants received from another hobbyist. Sort of the Aptasia of the planted tank.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis all your plants where in vitro plants right? You will not see it using vitro plants mostly comes from plants received from another hobbyist. Sort of the Aptasia of the planted tank.
I got some tissue culture (we know those are clean) a bunch of stems and stuff from ADG's tanks, no idea where those come from, and I did get one shipment from a plantedtank member. Pretty sure I got snails from him. Not a big deal though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back