Something Different... d2's FRESHWATER PLANTED build!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright this thing has to look like a forest by now. Let's see an update!

How are you liking the freshwater compared to reefing?
LOL, it's getting there. Did some maintenance this weekend. I'll get a new pic up soon.

I'm still enjoying it. And still learning/figuring things out. Like i was trying to finally increase light and then I ended up with staghorn algae. So brought light back down and this weekend I added my old Tunze i still had from my old 200g reef, so I could get some decent flow through the tank. And got some more algae eating fish. Growing coral without algae is one thing but growing green plants and not green algae is another. haha

But I'm also babysitting my old Elos this week and I'm not missing it.

The funny thing, too is that I had comments from family over the holidays that they love the new tank and prefer it over the reef. :oops:

I don't mess with it nearly as much either. Mostly just feeding the fish. Plants have been trimmed and replanted or just tossed. No need to make frags and all that. No skimmer cup to empty. Glass is cleaned FARRRR less often. Less testing. Every couple weeks I pull the prefilter on each canister and rinse those in tank water and replace. I have yet to clean the main portion of the canisters.

And my planted betta tank is even easier. Water change every two weeks and feed him. Nothing else.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, it's getting there. Did some maintenance this weekend. I'll get a new pic up soon.

I'm still enjoying it. And still learning/figuring things out. Like i was trying to finally increase light and then I ended up with staghorn algae. So brought light back down and this weekend I added my old Tunze i still had from my old 200g reef, so I could get some decent flow through the tank. And got some more algae eating fish. Growing coral without algae is one thing but growing green plants and not green algae is another. haha

The funny thing, too is that I had comments from family over the holidays that they love the new tank and prefer it over the reef. :oops:

I don't mess with it nearly as much either. Mostly just feeding the fish. Plants have been trimmed and replanted or just tossed. No need to make frags and all that. No skimmer cup to empty. Glass is cleaned FARRRR less often. Less testing. Every couple weeks I pull the prefilter on each canister and rinse those in tank water and replace. I have yet to clean the main portion of the canisters.

And my planted betta tank is even easier. Water change every two weeks and feed him. Nothing else.
Definitely need some pictures. Even cell phone shots would be cool.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds much easier to care for. That’s also my worry about freshwater. I worry I’d get bored quickly. I’m curious to see how you feel after a year.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the moss off the arching branch. It was getting to massive for the placement.
I'll look for some smaller plants to place here or there instead.

i-nswJZKt-XL.jpg

i-XXfLZRd-X2.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have been able to keep the sand separated. I thought it would mix up eventually.
I used that white corrugated styrene as a wall between the two, and then the little stones help keep the very top in place. :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been quietly working on the hardscape. Once that's done I'll be able to start planting. :)
Here's where I'm at so far...

i-h2GdZF5-O.jpg

Silly question but how do you keep the driftwood in place? Did you screw or glue it to the surrounding rocks or have it screwed to some slate which is hidden under the substrate?

ua hua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and I love the hardscape. The only thing I have found to be a pain is the Aqua soil eventually getting mixed in with the sand especially with cory cats. I’m really loving the red rainbows and the ember tetra combo. They really compliment each other. If you are going the rainbow fish route you should check out the Goyder river rainbows. They’re beautiful.

I have been in the planted side of the hobby for the past 16 years until I decided to start up a little nano reef in the last year. There is many things that cross over between the 2 but at the same time they’re completely different. Here is a picture of my planted tank from a couple of years ago. Now it’s a lot more slow growers which makes the maintenance so much easier that constantly trimming stem plants every week.

8DA2C080-1905-49D0-A4B5-ADB7B29EF606.jpeg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so peaceful to look at. This is why I keep my little 8 gallon ADA freshwater tank. So easy to maintain and enjoyable to watch. I've honestly considered converting my reef tank to freshwater planted, but I like my fish too much.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question but how do you keep the driftwood in place? Did you screw or glue it to the surrounding rocks or have it screwed to some slate which is hidden under the substrate?
That's a few different pieces of wood that are screwed or zip-tied together. The main piece is pretty large/heavy so it didn't take much to hold it all down. I didn't have to pre-soak it or anything. A couple of the stones and the soil are holding everything in place.

Beautiful tank and I love the hardscape. The only thing I have found to be a pain is the Aqua soil eventually getting mixed in with the sand especially with cory cats. I’m really loving the red rainbows and the ember tetra combo. They really compliment each other. If you are going the rainbow fish route you should check out the Goyder river rainbows. They’re beautiful.

I have been in the planted side of the hobby for the past 16 years until I decided to start up a little nano reef in the last year. There is many things that cross over between the 2 but at the same time they’re completely different. Here is a picture of my planted tank from a couple of years ago. Now it’s a lot more slow growers which makes the maintenance so much easier that constantly trimming stem plants every week.

8DA2C080-1905-49D0-A4B5-ADB7B29EF606.jpeg
Gorgeous tank!
It's been several months and so far so good with keeping the soil separated. I have at least half a dozen cory cats but so far they aren't messing it up. Maybe as they get larger. :)

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir have a gift. That's a gorgeous planted tank

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Dennis some day I will have mine up and going. If they ever figure out how to make the stand correctly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back