Something Different... d2's FRESHWATER PLANTED build!

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love Ember Tetras, and would be tempted to add 25-30 (maybe more). A school of rainbows will also be cool. I would also suggest a school of corydoras.

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out leopoldi Angels. They stay a bit smaller and look great in groups. I had 8 in my 125 planted. I wanted Altums, but they are harder to care for and are so big that they eventually ruin the scale perspective of the tank. These guys were a nice alternative and easier to care for.

ABD856ED-6824-4EB1-98E5-D585771FD7DD.jpeg

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted Leo’s so bad when I had the 60 set up. They are really pretty angelfish.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is gorgeous. I tried the different substrate a few years ago and a problem I had was keeping them separated after water changes and the flow in the tank kept mixing the darker substrate with the white. After a few months I gave up. I hope you can keep it separate and will follow along to see how it does and how you do it. I love keeping freshwater planted tanks and will never give up on them even though I have become obsessed with this reef tank.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Love the scape and the plants on the limb. IMO schools of tetras are pretty and fun in a planted tank. I have 8 rummy noses(used to be 11, but the discus ate 3) and 5 black neons in my planted 90 currently. The rumms school up tight and are fun to watch chase the leader back and forth. Another cool one i had years back and actually bread on their own(only way I knew is there were a few extra when I counted them) were green fire tetras. Any way you take it I’m sure will be stunning! I’ve always liked rainbow fish too.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonder why we cant have a small sub forum for planted tanks as id love to make a discus planted tank. espeically with the new redsea 900XL possibly.
The forum had a vote a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty divided with some strong opinions on each side.
Seemed like too many people were against it.

That is gorgeous. I tried the different substrate a few years ago and a problem I had was keeping them separated after water changes and the flow in the tank kept mixing the darker substrate with the white. After a few months I gave up. I hope you can keep it separate and will follow along to see how it does and how you do it. I love keeping freshwater planted tanks and will never give up on them even though I have become obsessed with this reef tank.
Yeah, i knew going in it might be tough. The daily auto water changes should remove that piece from the list of potential problems. And my flow isn't very strong. I think my main issue is just going to be keeping it fairly white, due to algae.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why against it a subform. People don't have to go to the sub forum if they dont want too. It doesnt hurt to have it only helps
I agree, but people surf the forums in different ways. One way is via New Posts, rather than going to specific forums. So they just get a feed of new posts and don't want a bunch of freshwater posts they are not interested in clogging up their feed.
So if you ever do a red sea planted tank, come on over to www.plantedtank.net. ;)

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis your builds are always so well done and your attention to detail always keeps me interested in anything you do. I am not into freshwater at all but following along with your build let's me see how nice it can actually be.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis your builds are always so well done and your attention to detail always keeps me interested in anything you do. I am not into freshwater at all but following along with your build let's me see how nice it can actually be.
Thanks, man! :)

I put some more plants in a few days ago. I'll take some updated pics this evening.
Dang windows right next to the tank make so much glare! :mad:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
BEAUTIFUL HOME AND TANK !!!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeling about freshwater compared to a reef tank?
It's confusing as heck!!! LOL!
GH, KH, PH, Co2... their relationship just seems way more confusing than Alk, Cal, and Mag.
And I haven't even gotten into fertz yet. Nitrate, potassium, iron, etc.
But at the same time, the basics carry over so not as bad as if I was starting from zero knowledge.

As far as fun/interesting... ask me in a year. :p

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful freshwater aquarium! Wondered where everyone had gone from RC....
Looking forward to seeing this mature.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first RAINBOWS in da HOUSE!!!! ;Woot
I got 6 Boesemani's from ADG here in houston.

And I already lost one! :( :( :(
I had all 6 acclimating in a small bucket. I turned my back for 5 minutes. When I returned, one was on the floor, not moving, with my two cats standing over it.
I put him back in the bucket and was able to resuscitate him, but he never swam quite right after that. He didn't make it through the night.
One fish and 30 bucks down the toilet. :mad:

But the other 5 have settled in and are doing ok!

i-zSbV87P-XL.jpg

i-LnTkWTC-XL.jpg

i-x6Sxz48-XL.jpg

i-mtgKhSg-XL.jpg

And some of my Schwartzi Cory Cats hanging out...

i-j4jm7vn-XL.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back