Something Different... d2's FRESHWATER PLANTED build!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing to do a little work here and there.

Last night I spent playing with about 30 (yes, thirty... give or take) leveling feet.

They are all around the perimeter and on the cross braces.
I worked on all the perimeter ones first, then flipped the tank up on one end and used a straight edge to get all the center ones at the correct length to match the perimeter ones.
I've basically got it perfectly level but will re-check before the tank goes on. I'll be moving it around quite a bit between now and then as I install various things I'd rather do without the tank on top.

Here's one end of the stand showing the leveling feet.

i-MsgVCp4-XL.jpg

And now I'm in the middle of drilling and test fitting the GHL "Flex Mounts" for the lights.
I've got two of the three installed. Need to add an extra brace in back for the third due to the large opening in the back wall of the stand.

i-csw8zxK-X2.jpg

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I actually came to the reef hobby after keeping planted tanks and discus. I finally broke down my last planted recently to focus on my reef. Planteds are work but very rewarding when things are going well.

I actually have tons of equipment if you may be interested. Not sure what shipping would cost. Canister filters, powerheads, ferts, co2 equipment, heaters, inkbird, seiryu stone, eco complete, etc

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the ability to pull the filters out like that for maintenance is going to make all the difference. Looks great!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build continues...

Last weekend I started work on the electronics side of the cabinet.
Two 1/2" pieces of plywood against the walls give me a support for a shelf to hold the controller and doser.
The black plywood on the right covers the complete right side, which should give me a good spot to mount the GHL powerbars and other electronics without having to drill a bunch of holes into the stand itself. Just two screws hold each support wall to the stand.

i-8sD8L38-XL.jpg

i-WdTvXF4-XL.jpg

This weekend, supplies are in for the Auto Water Change upgrade.
3/8" tubing and connectors to get it hooked up to an old Cole Parmer Masterflex pump with dual heads.

i-gGLSnxs-XL.jpg

And starting to route the tubing and ethernet cable for the controller's powerbar. You can see the tank behind the cat. lol
Tubing will enter through the wall down low.
Water storage tanks are off camera on the left.

i-sMhr9hZ-XL.jpg

i-s57wwQ4-XL.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnd we're through. :)
Thinking I'm going to run these into the stand and then figure out a more elegant solution to run the lines up the back of the tank and over the top.
And I need to work on the opposite side... getting these hooked up the pump and water storage tanks.

i-4xgxx86-XL.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been covered in an earlier post. But what plants are you planning to go with?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be amazing!

If you go with discus I know a fantastic breeder of lovely dinner plates.

I say though, if you cover it, go with some lovely macrostomas as well.

This is my following along post.
13783BB8-B380-4F95-A2C4-4D87E73DD9DF.jpeg

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of converting one of my FW to a discus tank for some time. But with a tank that size. I don't think i would be able to stop myself from getting altum angels. If you do decide to go with a warmer water species I breed apistogramma for fun. I could send you a few if you need tank mates for your big fish!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been covered in an earlier post. But what plants are you planning to go with?
Pretty ones? ;Hilarious
I have no freakin clue. Short ones, tall ones, thick ones, thin ones....

As for fish, I think I'm just going to concentrate on the aquascape for now and figure that out later. I just want a group of something large and colorful.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the vid! That is one of my fav channels but I hadn't seen that one. :)

Thanks! Not decided on anything specific yet, but I like those too.

Beautiful fish!
I wonder how much 40g of rodi per day woould cost me? ;Greedy
If you remove the DI portion of your filter you won’t have to worry about re mineralizing your water. Depending on your source water you may not even need the RO portion.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove the DI portion of your filter you won’t have to worry about re mineralizing your water. Depending on your source water you may not even need the RO portion.
A group of satanoperca jurupari could be cool, or maybe a group redhead tapajo cichlids. With either group I would add a school of Tetras and a school of corydoras.
If you go the discus route, I would keep the tank at 82. They will be fine at that temp and you can have any plant you want.
To start I would stick with, crypts, swords, Anubias, Java ferns, and maybe an aponogeton or lily.
Get your nutrient to light ratio correct with those plants and think about adding co2, high light, and stem plants once you have the basics under control. Algae can really get out of control, if the tank is even a little out of balance.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look and heartiness of java fern. I use it in all my tanks (including ones i keep at 86f) Amazon sword is nice if you can integrate it into your scape. And if i could keep valisenaria alive i would have sooooo much.
What are you thinking for the scape? Rocks and wood? Just rocks? Just wood? Maybe go a little wild and add some leaf litter and stuff. Scaping is really the only thing i like about freshwater more than salt, You have so much more to work with and so many more variables with fw. And if your lucky you can MAYBE have some shelf or branch rock for sw if you wanna do something different.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finishing up the water delivery system for auto water changes and auto top-off today.

Here's the Masterflex pump that will be performing the AWC's.
One head will be pumping water out while the other head is pumping water in simultaneously.
I will probably run the two lines to opposite sides of the tank.

i-Fr6WmZT-XL.jpg

And here is the plastic shed (it has seen better days) that holds my storage tanks and the pumps.
An ethernet cable runs from the tank to the shed where it plugs into a GHL powerbar.
This allows the controller to run the ATO and AWC, as well as mixing pumps, and heater if I were to need it.
The small pump is for the ATO.
I prefer to use all peristaltic pumps because it prevents backflow.
And these Cole Parmer Masterflex pumps are meant to run 24/7 in the medical industry. The pumps have stainless steel rollers.
Other than changing out the tubing periodically, they run forever.

i-fdZhKRW-X2.jpg

i-dr4Q284-XL.jpg

P.S. - Can you find the lizard? lol :D

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! The water delivery system looks great!

Is the lizard a brown anole?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back