Something eating my sand star ?

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed him something nutritious like Squid, I bought a Phataria Star that was nearly dead (barely moving) and I brought him back to health with daily feeding of Protein Rich foods (Shark, Squid,Salmon).

cobast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occassionaly when my two sand sifters surface I push some food - prawn, fish or squid, under them and they're not interested. They just walk away. Unlike when I had a chocolate chip who was always up for such a feed.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting comments. It's worth noting that the diet of Astropecten polycanthus is pretty much unknown, but is thought to be mainly small molluscs, possibly worms etc

Nearly everything published about this species (and all references to detritus consumption) seem to come from the aquarium hobby suppliers, which is not the best source of data. Scientific study about the feeding habits are extremely difficult to find.

Unfortunately we really don't know what they feed on or how they survive in a marine aquarium. However, they seem to only do well in very mature systems with good sandbeds and healthy invert populations.

Sadly, I think the OP's specimen has either ventured into a powerhead (unlikely given location of wound) or more likely is dying. The peppermint will be after the decaying flesh.

Cube reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a sifter that had a leg taken off. I think it was the large emerald crab (everything has been fine since he's been gone) The leg has since grown back and I've had the star fish for almost a year. He does come out of the sand, crawls over the glass and rocks and back into the sand. I only siphon the sand along the front of the tank, the rest I leave alone. I only have a 30 gallon and I don't over feed anything.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely starving as I have been through 2 sand sifting starts when I first started the hobby. They can clear the micro fauna and then they will slowly start to starved it is hard to feed them enough as they typicallly scavenge all day. It is unfortunate.

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish. These guys have a horrible mortality rate (as do most sea stars). We’ve stopped carrying them altogether as a result of this.

DJ

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back