OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you drip acclimate?
Not really. They shipped with basically no water in their bags, just soaked paper towels. So we let them acclimate to temp for an hour in fresh tank water (separate container floating in the tank so water didn’t cross) and then picked each out by hand and added to tanks.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's such a huge loss. I'm so sorry. Outside of a 70 day quarantine, what's the best strategy to prevent this? Is it to quarantine the inverts and add a sacrificial fish to their tank to see how they manage?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. They shipped with basically no water in their bags, just soaked paper towels. So we let them acclimate to temp for an hour in fresh tank water (separate container floating in the tank so water didn’t cross) and then picked each out by hand and added to tanks.
Yes, I remember getting snails from them in that manner.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's terrible to hear. They could've brought in velvet. I thought they kept their inverts in fishless systems?

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren’t any visible things on the outside of the dead fish. Other than one damsel with a chunk missing but I think the snowflake eel had a bite because we found the body under the rock he lives under.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh tank water is what, new salt water?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing in @Jay Hemdal

Only thing that kills that fast and leaves inverts unharmed is velvet, I think. But im not sure how infection would have happened in 3 separate tanks unless John's holding tanks are infected, in which case this wont be an isolated case.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. My husband and I just received an order of snails & hermits from ReefCleaners.org and within 24 hours more than half of our fish are dead, in 3 different tank systems. Has anyone had this happen or know what it could be? There have been no changes other than adding these CUC which leads me to believe they’re the culprits or it wouldn’t happen across 3 unconnected tanks at the same time.

Upon seeing a couple fish struggling to swim and a few others no where to be found, we did an emergency 40% water change on all 3 systems and didn’t check the levels beforehand. But now post water change testing kits look the same as always. No fish had any issues before adding these CUC. And the survivors seem to be swimming like normal for now
dead list:
Maroon clown
Oscellaris clown
Foxface
Cleaner goby
2x blue damsels
Bengaii cardinal
Clown tang

Survivors:
1 oscellaris clown
Clown trigger
Picasso trigger
Snowflake eel
Pj cardinal

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I just can’t imagine how this happened. No water from the shipment got into any tanks and the CUC arrivals are also fine and cruising around.
Yep. Inverts are perfectly normal, cruising and snacking.
Hey guys. My husband and I just received an order of snails & hermits from ReefCleaners.org and within 24 hours more than half of our fish are dead, in 3 different tank systems. Has anyone had this happen or know what it could be? There have been no changes other than adding these CUC which leads me to believe they’re the culprits or it wouldn’t happen across 3 unconnected tanks at the same time.

Upon seeing a couple fish struggling to swim and a few others no where to be found, we did an emergency 40% water change on all 3 systems and didn’t check the levels beforehand. But now post water change testing kits look the same as always. No fish had any issues before adding these CUC. And the survivors seem to be swimming like normal for now
dead list:
Maroon clown
Oscellaris clown
Foxface
Cleaner goby
2x blue damsels
Bengaii cardinal
Clown tang

Survivors:
1 oscellaris clown
Clown trigger
Picasso trigger
Snowflake eel
Pj cardinal

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I just can’t imagine how this happened. No water from the shipment got into any tanks and the CUC arrivals are also fine and cruising around.
I ordered a CUC crew for my new reef from reef cleaners a month ago and had no problems with them. I have been in contact with the owner (John) several times, and he has been nothing but helpful and I honestly believe he has the highest quality inverts on the market. Hitch hiking parasites would not kill your fish so suddenly. I would diagnose the problem before making such baseless accusations.

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is different, chemically from your tank water.
Would tank water have been a better acclimation process?
How would that stopped her fish from dying?
Perhaps for invert safety. But the inverts are alive and healthy so far. Just the fish loss, and we haven’t had any fish added to any of these tanks in 3 weeks or so. And the new arrivals were quarantined before being added to these systems.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. My bad. Yes. Saltwater from our trash can container of mixed Rodi and salt.
That’s how I acclimate Reef Cleaners animals, I use fresh seawater and pull any DOAs that I see. I suggested that they change their info sheet to include this rinsing step, but they didn’t.

This is a bit of a mystery to me as there is no fish parasite that can be transferred on Inverts that will cause fish mortality in just 24 hours…just not possible. Having multiple tanks affected is also unexplainable in terms of coincidental issues.

If the reef cleaners animals are mostly o.k., and your existing inverts are also fine, that tends to rule out water quality issues and points to fish disease. Is there ANY chance hat a disease could have been introduced to all tanks 7 to 30 days before the fish loss?

Jay

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something possibly on your hands? Lotions? Sunscreen, cleaning supplies, etc.?

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a CUC crew for my new reef from reef cleaners a month ago and had no problems with them. I have been in contact with the owner (John) several times, and has been nothing but helpful and I honestly believe he had the highest quality inverts on the market. Hitch hiking parasites would not kill your fish so suddenly. I would diagnose the problem before making such baseless accusations.
Hence the question mark and request for ideas of what it could be. I’m just stating the only thing that has changed in these systems was the addition of the CUC, yesterday. Otherwise nothing has changed. If you have alternate theories please share them. I’m all ears to figure out what happened and prevent it in the future.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perhaps for invert safety. But the inverts are alive and healthy so far. Just the fish loss, and we haven’t had any fish added to any of these tanks in 3 weeks or so. And the new arrivals were quarantined before being added to these systems.
Forgive me, I'm more worried about the surviving fish and not the grazing inverts. Whatever took place isn't done.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing in @Jay Hemdal

Only thing that kills that fast and leaves inverts unharmed is velvet, I think. But im not sure how infection would have happened in 3 separate tanks unless John's holding tanks are infected, in which case this wont be an isolated case.
John says his tanks are fishless, and there is no way velvet can get started that fast….it kills quickly, but the infection still takes days/weeks to reach acute disease levels, then it goes into exponential growth and the fish die fast.
Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back