Something to hold/guide PVC pipe perfectly vertically...

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long shot but what the heck. Any plumbers or plumbing geniuses here?

I need something other than the jank shown in the photos to support my return line. I came up with this jank- galvanized split ring hangers, 3/8" galvanized bolt, and stainless steel lock nuts (nylon in them). What I have does the job very well (you can just about do pull ups on everything). But the problem is maintaining a nice vertical. There's just waay too many degrees of freedom to adjust here. Once I tighten those lock nuts, it's pretty decent, but almost impossible to get close enough vertical. The return line traces the edge of the tank, and you can see it's off several hairs from the vertical line the tank forms. Having it even slightly off bothers me visually. (Perfectionism/OCD, I guess- call me crazy, but verticals should be vertical! It's also a pain to reassemble and adjust, which hopefully won't happen often but would be nice to know it's easier to take up and down. This crazy rigging was also 100 times more time consuming than anything I bargained for- DIY sins.)

I'm pretty sure I need to attach to the stand leg and not the tank, etc.

Any plumbers here with ingenious ideas?

I have searched far and wide, including wondering how I might use things like T PVC and other "guides" to create a sleeve that the return runs thru to get it placed right.

The other thing that's happening is holding the pipe so that the pump is actually just a hair off the bottom of the sump, hanging by the PVC pipe, as well as holding in the right place such that the return going up and over into the tank doesn't rest on the rim of the tank. The return line is being held right where it needs to be in all directions (stand off from the tank, etc.).

BTW, I don't see any way to use a bulk head going into the tank, given the overflow box and the small amount of space left.

IMG_20200520_212023.jpg IMG_20200520_212045.jpg IMG_20200520_212111.jpg

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is fine/great, with this set up. It's light weight and the pvc is threaded and glued, etc.

I guess I can try to achieve the same effect with much fewer degrees of freedom with pole-to-pole mounts:

1590077010461.png

An improvement most likely, but there is still a lot of jank with all of those nuts each being individually adjusted.

Would really like something that can be torn down and put together very easily and reproducably, and does the job well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still talkin' to myself, but any eagles eyes with an idea, please chime in.

This seems more like what I had in mind, sizing is almost there too. One bolt, it would automatically adjust itself along all axis, lot's of surface/guiding area:

1590078173511.png

It's called:

Leviton Roof Antenna 2-Sided Vent Pipe Mount Bracket C5920

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back