Something wrong with my Raccoon's face on oneside

Nunu810

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm very new to the saltwater world and would love to get some help and info.

There is something wrong with my raccoon's face. It started as what looked like a cut a few days ago, and now it looks all funky and is loosing color.
Can someone please help me identify whats wrong with it.

*raccoon is currently in a 20gal qt tank, along with 2 damsels, 2 firefish, and 1 orchid dottyback.
The rest of the crew have been eating well, I have not really seen the raccoon eat much or at all. I just got them last week

Attachments

• Snapchat-118260954.mp4
    8.8 MB
  • Snapchat-113185409.mp4
    4.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm very new to the saltwater world and would love to get some help and info.

There is something wrong with my raccoon's face. It started as what looked like a cut a few days ago, and now it looks all funky and is loosing color.
Can someone please help me identify whats wrong with it.

*raccoon is currently in a 20gal qt tank, along with 2 damsels, 2 firefish, and 1 orchid dottyback.
The rest of the crew have been eating well, I have not really seen the raccoon eat much or at all. I just got them last week

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I wish we could have met under better circumstances - your butterfly has a systemic infection - either Uronema, bacterial or a mix of both. The rapid breathing and not eating indicates it is systemic, not localized. I don't see any course of action that would save it, but you need to ensure the other fish are kept safe.

Have you medicated the tank with anything yet?

Are you monitoring the ammonia in the tank? You need to test and ensure the ammonia level stays below .25 ppm

Jay

OP
OP
Nunu810

Nunu810

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I wish we could have met under better circumstances - your butterfly has a systemic infection - either Uronema, bacterial or a mix of both. The rapid breathing and not eating indicates it is systemic, not localized. I don't see any course of action that would save it, but you need to ensure the other fish are kept safe.

Have you medicated the tank with anything yet?

Are you monitoring the ammonia in the tank? You need to test and ensure the ammonia level stays below .25 ppm

Jay
I have only tried ich medication, as I thought that was what was starting it. Other than that, I have not medicated with anything. I'm also in Canada, and I just spoke to my lfs, sadly, antibiotics for fish is banned here.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only tried ich medication, as I thought that was what was starting it. Other than that, I have not medicated with anything. I'm also in Canada, and I just spoke to my lfs, sadly, antibiotics for fish is banned here.

Yes, that is a huge issue for aquarists in Canada. I wish I had a work-around for you, but I can't think of one. I just went to Amazon Canada to see what you might be able to buy there - Melafix and Pimafix were listed, but truth be told, those are more tonics, and not true antibiotics.

Jay

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is a huge issue for aquarists in Canada. I wish I had a work-around for you, but I can't think of one. I just went to Amazon Canada to see what you might be able to buy there - Melafix and Pimafix were listed, but truth be told, those are more tonics, and not true antibiotics.

Jay
What about amoxicillin? The op could get that at any duty clinic just say you have a cough and your producing green/yellow phlegm.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, does amoxicillin work? Would be great if it works as antibiotics for fish. Much easier to get.
Jays the expert so I would wait for his take, I'm not 100% sure its safe to use and at what concentration just know as a fellow canadian that amoxi is easy to obtain. I have seen amoxicillin marketed for fish before

Attachments

• 13960-2.jpg
    13960-2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 26

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back