Sometime I blackout and do stupid things

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the Zoas and 1 of the Xenia is in the tank. My peppermint shrimp will not get off them though, is that going to be an issue?
They always seem to go crazy for any new addition. They’re after whatever “food” may be on them. Should be ok.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been reading about urchins and it seems that a lot will outgrow their tanks. However, it seems the Tuxedo Urchin stays smaller. Does anyone have an experience with them? And can you put multiple in one tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm in full panic mood right now.

Sometimes I get really excited about things and literal have no common sense anymore. I just act and then after the rush of excitement has gone I'm left thinking what the heck. I just bought a bunch of new corals from all over the place

(3) zoas
(2) xenias
Mandarin Orange Cloves
Neon Green Frilly
Fuzzy Pulsing Sinularia

Three of these are sitting on my desk at work as I picked them up from someone local, the rest I ordered and will be delivered on Friday. Why am I panicking you ask? Mostly because I'm dramatic, but also because I have diatom algae on my rocks and I'm worried about putting corals on them.

Let me start from the beginning. 5 months ago I started a 55 gallon, last month I upgraded to a red sea reefer 350. I transferred over everything except the sand which I bought new and added to my existing rock another 20/30pounds of dry rock. Everything has been fine, but I had algae starting to show up on my new dry rocks. I just ignored it as this happened last time and after some time it cleared on its own. My plan was to wait until it cleared to start adding corals. I have this nice live rock from my first tank and I wanted to start a zoa garden on it, so I thought "whats the big deal, I can add some zoas here, this rock doesn't have any bad algae on it." Then I started look for some pulsing xenia as well... and then somehow I blacked out and bought 5 other corals instead of the couple of zoas I wanted to start with.

My Questions Are

Can I put the corals on the rock with the diatom algae or will it kill the corals?

Is there a way to get the algae off the rocks before Friday?

Am I being way to dramatic and everything will be just fine?

Can I put the corals on the rock with the diatom algae or will it kill the corals? Definitely not. Blow off with turkey baster

Is there a way to get the algae off the rocks before Friday? do a siphoning after blowing it off and Go super dim on lights or blackout all together. Add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gals and add a good liquid bacteria to remove nutrients that feed dino

Am I being way to dramatic and everything will be just fine? Be careful and watchful of Dino. Low light will keep dino in check and also good for new coral introduction. No white and dim blues on lights for 3-5 days

Anthony Putrino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My humble opinion:
1- Yes, use a toothbrush to clear out some space for the coral and glue it. It will be fine.
2- Toothbrush, powerheads, manual removal of algae and detritus.
3- A little dramatic, yes - but I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm. Diatoms almost always go away on their own. If you're really stressed about it, I would use manual removal and don't make any dramatic changes to the system. The reset likely has you in a mini-cycle which will clear up soon and on it's own.

The cleanup crew suggestions are reasonable, but I would start small. Many will starve if you are indeed in a mini-cycle and the algae is either eaten or clears up on it's own.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3- A little dramatic, yes

HAHAHA! Yes, agreed. I got a frag rack to put the corals on for now and I will just let my tank do its thing. Like I said with my 55 the algae came and went in a couple months. I prefer to let things take their course so that's what I will do this time and the corals I have should be fine on a rack for a little bit while it all clears. For some reason I just completely forgot that there was such a thing as a frag rack, once I was reminded of that I calmed down.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think multiples are fine. I am planning on adding 2-3 more urchin to my tank. They can’t really hurt anything intentionally, so I don’t see the issue with multiples......

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think multiples are fine. I am planning on adding 2-3 more urchin to my tank. They can’t really hurt anything intentionally, so I don’t see the issue with multiples......

With multiples I would be worried about starving or fighting. it would seem they don't fight so i thought better to start with one and see how that goes. If he plows through the algae in a day then I'll supplement feed, if he can't keep up with it maybe I would grab another one.

I really like the Halloween ones too. Halloween is mine and my husbands favorite holiday we go all out at our house, it would be nice to have a little spooky critter in our tank year round.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the frag rack is a great idea, I can easily go grab one tonight and not worry about it. However, I should still probably up my game on the CUC. I have a very aggressive cleaner shrimp who eats whatever he can catch. I just order a crew of nassarius snails with some of my corals but I think those are only for sand. My hermits are on the rocks all the time maybe I should just get some more of them.
Reefcleaners.org

Choose cuc by tank size, with or without hermits.

Plus other inverts available too and you never know what John May have.

Also, good descriptions of what eats what and algae ID.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't use a package from reefcleaners. They include way too many inverts for a given tank size. A few snails might be helpful.

Diatoms are normal in the progression of a new tank. Like your last tank, they will go away. The corals you ordered are hardy and shouldn't be affected too much.

Urchins do a great job with various alga. Personally, I like tuxedo urchins. However, they will pick up various things and carry them around, including coral frags.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back