Soon-to-be new reefer from MN

MonsterTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a while and finally signed up for an account a few weeks ago, so I thought it was time to introduce myself. My name is James and I live in the Minneapolis suburbs. Married to my wife for 10 years. No kids, but 3 nieces that we adore (and spoil!). I work in IT as my full-time job and am also a paid on-call firefighter in my city. Back in my high school days (20+ years ago), I kept some FW tanks, but have always dreamed of salt water. My favorite vacation activity is snorkeling reefs and the thought of recreating a small piece of that in my home is so exciting!

I never really had the space for a tank - at least not where I'd be able to enjoy it - but moved into a new (to me) house about 3 1/2 years ago and started considering it again. With many new house projects to keep me busy, I never got too serious about it. Then about 2 years ago, I stumbled across a job opening in IT at Bulk Reef Supply, which isn't very far from my home. I'd been subscribed to their YouTube channel for a long time, so I was excited about the potential to work with and learn from some guys I'd been watching for years. Although the job didn't work out, it completely reignited my desire for a SW tank. Since then, I've spent a ton of time reading, watching videos and learning about the hobby and getting more and more excited about creating a reef of my own!

I've got some (relatively) minor remodeling to do in my finished basement before I start my reefing adventure, but I hope to be in position to take advantage of some Black Friday sales this year. I'm still somewhat limited on tank placement due to the layout of my house, so the best option for me is going to be a 72" peninsula - most likely the Waterbox 7225. I thought I'd start a bit smaller, but this just works out better. Besides, go big or go home, right?!?! :D

Well, that's quite a long introduction! I've already learned a ton of information from many of you, so thank you all for that! It's great to have such a community that's willing to help each other out - especially the newbies like me. When the time comes, I'll certainly start my own build thread, but in the meantime I look forward to learning more and asking my share of (sometimes dumb) questions! ;)

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Sounds like a very solid plan. You are a patient man!
Once you're 100% committed, get some rocks in a tub of warm water with a powerhead and some fish flakes. You won't be sorry.

spockwelcome.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thank you for the introduction - we’re glad you’re here!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
MonsterTaco

MonsterTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Sounds like a very solid plan. You are a patient man!
Once you're 100% committed, get some rocks in a tub of warm water with a powerhead and some fish flakes. You won't be sorry.

spockwelcome.jpg

Thanks! Yes, I like to think I'm pretty patient so I think this hobby will suit me well! I've already got a plan for some Brute cans in my garage when I'm getting the party started!

Welcome. Miss the tundra of the north. I have been down in Cincinnati 20yrs now, but MN is my home and always will be.

Thanks! I visited Cincinnati for the first time last summer and I'll just say I prefer Minneapolis... ;) Of course, days like today (high of 4 degrees, -35 wind chills this morning) occasionally make me think otherwise...

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back