britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have confirmed I have LCA Dino’s. On top of bryopsis and hair algae that I’ve been dealing with for a while now. I do weekly water changes but it’s just not getting any better. Obviously something is off but my parameters are not showing it.
salinity
ammonia 0
Nitrates 7
Nitrites 0
Phosphates .03
Alkalinity reads 8.2 on Hanna checker but 6.4 on apex.
temp steady at 78-78.5k with controller and Hanna salinity checker

To top it off I have ich in my tank as well. I’ve pulled 3 of my fish but I need to get the rest out to go fallow. I have no idea what I need to be doing. Or what order I need to do them in so I don’t completely crash my tank. I have water glass on the way that was recommended to create a diatom bloom to outcompete the Dino’s as well as dosing phyto and pods. Am I ok to still pull my fish or should I wait it out? I pulled my tangs and foxface which were the only ones showing ich.

I have an ICP test I’m sending out just to verify my parameters.
163DE8A5-C656-4FB6-B033-66B49E06D6DE.jpeg 06EBB69D-4880-41C6-8777-936A4AA66E17.jpeg FB7DF538-8CF2-489A-8F30-D75E450A8C1E.png 42F45A8C-AC95-48BD-8BE6-A46D17B03BD4.png

Attachments

• IMG_8606.MOV
    19.9 MB

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the Ich and work our way down. Copper treatment at therapeutic levels for 30 days in QT. I would recommend 42 days for fallow period in tank if you raise temperature to 80 degrees in main tank. Get an Seachem Ammonia Alert. Copper test. Diatoms can be eatin by copepods and maybe going dark for a day once they have arrived. I would use this time to slowly clean up the san bed with a gravel vacuum and get the algae off the rock. Keep up regular WC and get past this. How old is this tank?

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the Ich and work our way down. Copper treatment at therapeutic levels for 30 days in QT. I would recommend 42 days for fallow period in tank if you raise temperature to 80 degrees in main tank. Get an Seachem Ammonia Alert. Copper test. Diatoms can be eatin by copepods and maybe going dark for a day once they have arrived. I would use this time to slowly clean up the san bed with a gravel vacuum and get the algae off the rock. Keep up regular WC and get past this. How old is this tank?
I have my blue tang, Achilles, and foxface currently in copper (they’ve been in there for a couple of weeks) and all of them are looking a million times better. The others don’t have any signs of ich but I still want to go fallow and copper treat so as long as I’m ok to do that, that will be my first step.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is on the low end. If I had to guess, it bottomed out at some point and triggered the dinos

I had the same experience with hanna and trident discrepency. I purchased a salifert alk kit, made a reference standard, and measured all 3. The trident had the most error (> 1 dKh), the hanna was in the middle (0.5 dKh), the salifert was dead-on. I only use salifert and trident these days -- trident to monitor trends (ie, is if falling or rising so I can adjust dosing), and salifert for accuracy.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is on the low end. If I had to guess, it bottomed out at some point and triggered the dinos

I had the same experience with hanna and trident discrepency. I purchased a salifert alk kit, made a reference standard, and measured all 3. The trident had the most error (> 1 dKh), the hanna was in the middle (0.5 dKh), the salifert was dead-on. I only use salifert and trident these days -- trident to monitor trends (ie, is if falling or rising so I can adjust dosing), and salifert for accuracy.
I will hop on getting one of those right now. Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back