Spawning coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cassian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
2,389
Reaction score
1,710
Location
MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I just watched a really cool documentary about the Great Barrier Reef. One of the things it talked about was that once a year, in October, the whole reef reproduces by releasing millions of eggs and sperm into the water. Has this ever occurred in our tanks? because it would be a really neat experiment to work on if it hasn't ever been done.
 
It has. Dr. Richard Ross @Thales is doing research now on exactly that. He has been successful too from what I understand.
 
I haven’t had sps spawn. My rainbow torch did 10 months ago it yeilded 2 randomly placed torches one posted up on a magnet with my one of stag colonies. The other right above jf jack o lantern decimating all the slow
progress in it had made lol.
735619C7-7925-4D91-869D-657683AF151B.jpeg

Mother colony
1EF9562C-E416-42F3-BB3D-DA69C2F7232B.jpeg

Number 1
23CBA6F3-C6A1-48D2-8B22-7E5054475ABD.jpeg

Number 2
Need to get new photo they’re getting big!
 
Last edited:
very neat everyone!
 
I promised updated pictures lol. Family photo day on the reef!
1912F684-3065-490E-8510-754940D96B82.jpeg
 
wow thats amazing! those torches look amazing!
Once the baby one’s popped up they grew on me I’m acro guy haha. I got the mother from a client as a gift. Truly priceless!!
 
Yes once....I got up one morning and my tank was overflowing with eggs. It was many years ago in a simple overfed 40B...my guess is the gorgs.

spawn2_zpse5bf9c24.jpg spawn1_zpsf51910f3.jpg
 
I’m definitely always intrigued with delicate natural processes that somehow take place in our tanks. Most events occur so randomly and go unnoticed there’s no ascertainable explanation lol.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new