Species only tank

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! So I recently decided to go against getting a frogfish due to having to feed it live… I have a 21 gallon rimless cube. It’s a weird lagoon style tank. I think it’s 20x20 or close to that. I want to do a species only tank… but I would love to hear what ideas y’all have because I’m so indecisive lol. I’m up for any challenge! Would prefer to stay away from cephalopods and eels as I do not have a lid for the tank. Thanks!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! So I recently decided to go against getting a frogfish due to having to feed it live… I have a 21 gallon rimless cube. It’s a weird lagoon style tank. I think it’s 20x20 or close to that. I want to do a species only tank… but I would love to hear what ideas y’all have because I’m so indecisive lol. I’m up for any challenge! Would prefer to stay away from cephalopods and eels as I do not have a lid for the tank. Thanks!!
Waspfish or Soapfish would be my go tos

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wasp is a better fish, but do desire/require lots of hiding places in the tank and avoid getting near spines which pack a good sting. They are not very active fish but more forgiving than frogfish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeaaa I was thinking maybe them too… I keep my room pretty cold so I shouldn’t have a temp issue either
I respect that and remember- Its your tank and you have choices and no matter which you choose, we are here to help.

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect that and remember- Its your tank and you have choices and no matter which you choose, we are here to help.
I appreciate it! I’m going to go on YouTube tonight and just see what other people have done as well and maybe try and come to a decision haha. I’m in no rush and I already have a large reef tank but after so many years I want to try something new!

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeaaa I was thinking maybe them too… I keep my room pretty cold so I shouldn’t have a temp issue either
You could always pick up a Chill Solutions Chiller for that size tank. It worked well for me on my old tank.

douglasbnyhof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waspfish or Soapfish would be my go
What about pipefish with macro algae.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the pipefish idea although they can be challenging, so do your research on that. I've never had a tank to dedicate to them but have always had a fascination. The waspfish that would fit and are very popular, the pygmy red rooster, does need a lid.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back