Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each his own, but I would personally not spend $900 for a 1:1 waste to product ratio. Not unless I had an exceptionally large aquarium or exceptionally expensive tap water.

Figures for how much water costs vary from $1.50 to just over $3.00 per 1,000 gallons in the US. We'll use the more expensive estimate of $3.00 per 1,000 gallons. Let's say you have a 100 gallon tank. You do two 20% water changes per month. That's 40 gallons. Let's then assume that you need 1.5 gallons per day for topoff purposes. That's another 45 gallons. Let's say you use a miscellaneous 10 gallons of water for cleaning and soaking dirty pumps. In total, you need 95 gallons of deionized water per month. If your system uses a 4:1 waste to product ratio, you need 5 gallons of source water for every 1 gallon of purified water. So in total, that 95 gallons of deionized water requires 475 gallons of tap water.

If your tap water costs $3.00 for every thousand gallons, 475 gallons of water will only increase your water bill by $1.42 per month. At these prices, your DI water costs you only 1.5 cents per gallon. And that includes all the waste that went down the drain.

A 1:1 waste to product ratio will save you money. Instead of 475 gallons, you'd only need 190 gallons of tap water to make your deionized water. With this kind of system,your aquarium would only increase your water bill by around $0.57/month. If my estimates are correct though, you're only saving less than one dollar every month with a 1:1 unit as opposed to the traditional 4:1 unit. At a price of $900, a 1:1 system would take over 83 years to RoI. Even if I'm a thousand percent wrong, you still won't RoI on a system like that for over 8 years.

The EPA estimates that the average person uses up to 100 gallons/day of water. That's 12,000 gallons a month for a family of four. A RO/DI filter with a 4:1 waste to product ratio would only account for 3.96% of your monthly water use if you're anything like the national average. I am not advocating that people be intentionally wasteful or that people should not look to conserve when possible. I just don't think that a 1:1 waste to product is worth the money. Not when RO/DI waste represents such a small amount of the average family's water use.

OP
OP
KJAG

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each his own, but I would personally not spend $900 for a 1:1 waste to product ratio. Not unless I had an exceptionally large aquarium or exceptionally expensive tap water.

Figures for how much water costs vary from $1.50 to just over $3.00 per 1,000 gallons in the US. We'll use the more expensive estimate of $3.00 per 1,000 gallons. Let's say you have a 100 gallon tank. You do two 20% water changes per month. That's 40 gallons. Let's then assume that you need 1.5 gallons per day for topoff purposes. That's another 45 gallons. Let's say you use a miscellaneous 10 gallons of water for cleaning and soaking dirty pumps. In total, you need 95 gallons of deionized water per month. If your system uses a 4:1 waste to product ratio, you need 5 gallons of source water for every 1 gallon of purified water. So in total, that 95 gallons of deionized water requires 475 gallons of tap water.

If your tap water costs $3.00 for every thousand gallons, 475 gallons of water will only increase your water bill by $1.42 per month. At these prices, your DI water costs you only 1.5 cents per gallon. And that includes all the waste that went down the drain.

A 1:1 waste to product ratio will save you money. Instead of 475 gallons, you'd only need 190 gallons of tap water to make your deionized water. With this kind of system,your aquarium would only increase your water bill by around $0.57/month. If my estimates are correct though, you're only saving less than one dollar every month with a 1:1 unit as opposed to the traditional 4:1 unit. At a price of $900, a 1:1 system would take over 83 years to RoI. Even if I'm a thousand percent wrong, you still won't RoI on a system like that for over 8 years.

The EPA estimates that the average person uses up to 100 gallons/day of water. That's 12,000 gallons a month for a family of four. A RO/DI filter with a 4:1 waste to product ratio would only account for 3.96% of your monthly water use if you're anything like the national average. I am not advocating that people be intentionally wasteful or that people should not look to conserve when possible. I just don't think that a 1:1 waste to product is worth the money. Not when RO/DI waste represents such a small amount of the average family's water use.
Thanks for the reply, but 98% of it was geared towards water bill savings, which was the least of my concerns. I was leaning more towards the membrane and filter longevity and environmental aspects as the foundation of my interest. The cost of water was tertiary. After reading the fine print, the reason why I won’t be buying this system is because it’s actually not a 1:1 where I live( coastal California.) I cant justify dropping $900 to go to a 2:1 instead of a 4:1. By the way I run a deep water hydro system for vegetables both in my house and outside in reservoirs (aquaponics) so I’m making substantially more RO than the “average” family. Thus, the 1:1 waste ratio is what piqued my interest.

75F175DF-C93E-49C2-8851-98D94A492A01.jpeg

Last edited:

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool but pricey. I am rocking my 21 year old Spectrapure 3 stage RO with added DI. Its been a great as has been Spectrapure's CS.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am not mistaken BRS dual membrane systems produce 2:1 for under $400

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, but 98% of it was geared towards water bill savings, which was the least of my concerns. I was leaning more towards the membrane and filter longevity and environmental aspects as the foundation of my interest. The cost of water was tertiary. After reading the fine print, the reason why I won’t be buying this system is because it’s actually not a 1:1 where I live( coastal California.) I cant justify dropping $900 to go to a 2:1 instead of a 4:1. By the way I run a deep water hydro system for vegetables both in my house and outside in reservoirs (aquaponics) so I’m making substantially more RO than the “average” family. Thus, the 1:1 waste ratio is what piqued my interest.

75F175DF-C93E-49C2-8851-98D94A492A01.jpeg

That's fair. In my defense, your original post mentioned water costs and environmental concerns in the same sentence. I did not assume that to mean that one factor matters almost 100% while the other matters almost 0% ("The amount of water wasted making RO or Di is gnarly, for environmental and water bill reasons."). To be fair, I also did mention that if you have an exceptional need for water, a $900 1:1 system might make financial sense.

If your concern is the physical waste of throwing out used filters and membranes, I'm afraid there's no good solution for that. The only solution I know of for purifying water that produces no physical waste is electricity-powered distilling, which would require a huge amount of carbon-free electricity.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it. My favorite part about it isn't savings of money or water, it's the sensor systems this unit implements. It will not refill the reservoir until the reservoir is empty (this prevents tds creep), and it automatically rinses the membrane every time the unit runs (helps extend the life of the membrane). There is also a solenoid that if the power goes out the unit will stop producing water (this could be hooked up to an apex with a flood sensor for safety).

For me the unit is currently producing 0tds water before the second di resin.

Now I did not pay 900 for it, as I purchased it during black Friday from marine Depot last year.

I just started up the unit for the 1st time 3 days ago so I do not have any long term experience with it yet.

Spectrapure is also a local company to me, so if I ever need any parts, service, or media it's only a 10 minute drive to Tempe.

I am happy with the purchase.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KJAG

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it. My favorite part about it isn't savings of money or water, it's the sensor systems this unit implements. It will not refill the reservoir until the reservoir is empty (this prevents tds creep), and it automatically rinses the membrane every time the unit runs (helps extend the life of the membrane). There is also a solenoid that if the power goes out the unit will stop producing water (this could be hooked up to an apex with a flood sensor for safety).

For me the unit is currently producing 0tds water before the second di resin.

Now I did not pay 900 for it, as I purchased it during black Friday from marine Depot last year.

I just started up the unit for the 1st time 3 days ago so I do not have any long term experience with it yet.

Spectrapure is also a local company to me, so if I ever need any parts, service, or media it's only a 10 minute drive to Tempe.

I am happy with the purchase.
Nice. You’re lucky you live so close. Their customer service over the phone is terrible. I’m guessing you’re not running it at a 1:1 ratio since you live in Arizona and your tap is even worse than mine! Lol
If it could do the 1:1 as advertised I prob would’ve taken the plunge. My TDS out of the tap is like 480. Guessing you’re almost double that? What’s your filter setup from left to right?

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to squeeze a little less waste water and get a 2 to 1 or even 1 to 1 just put a valve on the waste water tube and get a measuring cup and adjust it tell you get what you want. Just remember no matter what it will be much harder on the Membranes and your TDS will most likely increase into your DI.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. You’re lucky you live so close. Their customer service over the phone is terrible. I’m guessing you’re not running it at a 1:1 ratio since you live in Arizona and your tap is even worse than mine! Lol
If it could do the 1:1 as advertised I prob would’ve taken the plunge. My TDS out of the tap is like 480. Guessing you’re almost double that? What’s your filter setup from left to right?
My current tds is 1100,its terrible. I haven't messed with the unit yet, I set it up how it came. I attached some photos to show the filters. The labels for the filters are in the pictures to show you what the filters are.

IMG_20180809_072650.jpg

IMG_20180809_072618.jpg

IMG_20180809_072623.jpg

OP
OP
KJAG

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to squeeze a little less waste water and get a 2 to 1 or even 1 to 1 just put a valve on the waste water tube and get a measuring cup and adjust it tell you get what you want. Just remember no matter what it will be much harder on the Membranes and your TDS will most likely increase into your DI.
:confused:Did I hear you correctly? If so this is far, FAR.. from sound advice. You don’t EVER, just “put a valve on your waste line” to gain any sort of benefit. Please educate yourself on RO systems before giving advice to forum members.

Last edited:

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one of these units for some time now. Really like the automation of filling the reservoir and the auto flush. I too live in AZ and it’s convenient for me to just drive to their office. JP

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:confused:Did I hear you correctly? If so this is far, FAR.. from sound advice. You don’t EVER, just “put a valve on your waste line” to gain any sort of benefit. Please educate yourself on RO systems before giving advice to forum members.

OK, please tell me/us instead of just making a aggressive comment, why did you not say, that is not how it is done and this how to go about it.
Please think before you poop on them. I know there other was you can do it, but no matter how in the end will be hard /harder on the Membranes which was mostly what I was trying to get across.
I have seem a few systems that do it that way and if you think about is that not what a restricter valve does. RO units are not some high tech. Laboratory piece of equipment.
You know I as I wrote this and read your message again, your post was quite rude and of no benefit to anyone except to pounce on someone if /when they maybe wrong.
So again like I said all mighty one, please explain to your people on how one goes about lowering the ratio.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, the reason I asked was I am shocked at the discoloration on your pre filter, it has a light brown tinge to it already. You must have a lot of silt in the water.
Yes in Mesa our tds comes out at 1100 to 1200, it is awful. I will most likely be installing a pre filter in the next week.
I used to live 20 miles away in South Phoenix and there our tds was 700 to 800. I have heard that the water in some areas of Tempe is around 2000.
This is another reason I bought the system I did, I need a much help as I can get lol

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back