Spill over filter sock

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if im just ocd about it or if this is the correct way these work buuut, with a spill over filter sock is all water supposed to go directly into the sock or is some going to flow around and under the plastic rim? Wasnt sure if its just not snug enough or thats the norm for that style since in my 125 i just have a hose that drops directly into the sock vs this kit that has a spill over.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO all water should flow through the sock. Is the sock clogged up and that’s why it overflows?

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s the case, what do you do with this design? I have this sump, and the bulkheads flow beside the sock. Always wondered if it was right, or I need to put an elbow in to route the water into the sock.
731B86DF-A652-470E-B2F7-D7D7FCEE14D2.png

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s the case, what do you do with this design? I have this sump, and the bulkheads flow beside the sock. Always wondered if it was right, or I need to put an elbow in to route the water into the sock.
731B86DF-A652-470E-B2F7-D7D7FCEE14D2.png
It looks like the water flows to the bottom through the pipe then rises up into the sock, a lot of systems are like this including my Red Sea reefer.

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the water flows to the bottom through the pipe then rises up into the sock, a lot of systems are like this including my Red Sea reefer.
Thanks, good to know I didn’t miss something, but that doesn’t seem too effective. I get a lot of detritus flowing into the other chambers. Wonder if it would cause problems to route the flow into the sock…or if there is enough room…?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, good to know I didn’t miss something, but that doesn’t seem too effective. I get a lot of detritus flowing into the other chambers. Wonder if it would cause problems to route the flow into the sock…or if there is enough room…?
I believe it’s made like this to help with gurgling, and if the line ran directly into the filter sock it would make it difficult to change them. Myself and others put some bio media in that first chamber with the drain line. I wouldn’t worry about build up as there is generally a strong up current that carries the detritus straight into the sock I will occasionally give it a stirr up with a turkey baster.
95EBB649-5F5B-458B-883C-E25EAD19E90A.jpeg

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s made like this to help with gurgling, and if the line ran directly into the filter sock it would make it difficult to change them. Myself and others put some bio media in that first chamber with the drain line. I wouldn’t worry about build up as there is generally a strong up current that carries the detritus straight into the sock I will occasionally give it a stirr up with a turkey baster.
95EBB649-5F5B-458B-883C-E25EAD19E90A.jpeg
My setuo is basically like yours but issue is the sock doesnt overflow, the plastic ring the water flows over and under the ring vs just over the top for some reason the design is set to have the ring of the fiter sock sitting with the lip over the edge vs inside so its not level

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sock flange is not flat enough on the mounting surface to make a decent seal, I'd try a different brand of sock. As already mentioned, this is a pretty common design and while a little leakage is going to happen, it shouldn't be very much.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sock flange is not flat enough on the mounting surface to make a decent seal, I'd try a different brand of sock. As already mentioned, this is a pretty common design and while a little leakage is going to happen, it shouldn't be very much.
Worth a try, currently just been sticking the hose in the sock since it caught far more that way

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if im just ocd about it or if this is the correct way these work buuut, with a spill over filter sock is all water supposed to go directly into the sock or is some going to flow around and under the plastic rim? Wasnt sure if its just not snug enough or thats the norm for that style since in my 125 i just have a hose that drops directly into the sock vs this kit that has a spill over.
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw your post. You are correct. Some "spill over filter socks" are susceptible to leaking past the plastic rim. This is something I noticed when developing the Reef Diaper and it's the main reason why I added a seal. Your filter sock might feel like it has a snug fit, but if you look closely at the backside, you may find that is only contacting a couple points around the rim. This leaves gaps where unfiltered water can bypass the sock. I have found that the surface finish and tolerance of the filter sock bores can vary significantly from sump to sump. Some are just fine, but others can have excessive leakage. Our flange seal is tapered with multiple lips which are very flexible. This allows it to work with a wider range of tolerances and surface finishes. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Back