Spiny Box Puffer big white spots

killboyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look familiar? I think I need to set up a quarantine tank? Any experience/ recommendations on what to do?

He is eating. A little stressed swimming pattern. He is in a predator tank but I don’t really ever see anyone bothering him

Everyone else in the tank is healthy.

This spiny box puffer is new. About 5 days new in the tank

Specific gravity 1.022
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates ~ 20
Ph 8.0
KH 10
Temp 76F
IMG_0672.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look familiar? I think I need to set up a quarantine tank? Any experience/ recommendations on what to do?

He is eating. A little stressed swimming pattern. He is in a predator tank but I don’t really ever see anyone bothering him

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

We'll need pictures and more background information. This post explains that:

Jay

OP
OP
K

killboyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

We'll need pictures and more background information. This post explains that:

Jay
thank u. for some reason the mobile version wouldn't upload the pics for me. had to come to desktop.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank u. for some reason the mobile version wouldn't upload the pics for me. had to come to desktop.

Sorry, I can't tell you exactly what those are. Could be damaged fin rays, or parasites.

Spiny boxfish come in with a lot of different parasites that we don't normally see on reef fish. They get different flukes, nematodes and even copepods that we just don't see on other fish.

I call them "Typhoid Mary's" - as they also come pretty often with ich. In fact, even back in the 1960's people cautioned about "bay fish" that commonly introduced diseases into marine tanks.

Is your predator tank something that you can medicate or use hyposalinity on, or does it have invertebrates in it?

Jay

OP
OP
K

killboyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody. My LFS guy told me to fatten him up and feed with extra vitamins (Selcon) I did this and he is much better! I did this with clams on half shells and diced up shrimp.

I also did a 10% water change

Spots are going away and glass surfing stopped.

I don’t see a lot of info for this fish so my advice for anyone who sees this in their spiny boxfish / striped burrfish is not to freak out if the spiny box puffer is eating, and try to fatten it up with quality food!

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Specific gravity 1.022
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates ~ 20
Ph 8.0
KH 10
Temp 76F
IMG_0672.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg
Hey what do you feed your fish mine is being picky and shows no interest in the one half clams that I try to give him

OP
OP
K

killboyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what do you feed your fish mine is being picky and shows no interest in the one half clams that I try to give him
Hey yeah mine doesn’t rly care about those either especially if they float to the bottom. I use tongs and feed him right in front of his face. bite sized cut up raw shrimp from the grocery store. He also likes those fish store frozen beef heart cubes, spirulina brine shrimp, any of those frozen cubes.. krill. Dip ur food in Selcon from time to time for added vitamins. sometimes he’ll take a chunk of the fish I feed to my eel (salmon, tilapia, cod) but not often. More of a shrimp lover.

Not to scare you but if he’s being super picky he might just be a little stressed. My spiny box is always hungry.

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yeah mine doesn’t rly care about those either especially if they float to the bottom. I use tongs and feed him right in front of his face. bite sized cut up raw shrimp from the grocery store. He also likes those fish store frozen beef heart cubes, spirulina brine shrimp, any of those frozen cubes.. krill. Dip ur food in Selcon from time to time for added vitamins. sometimes he’ll take a chunk of the fish I feed to my eel (salmon, tilapia, cod) but not often. More of a shrimp lover.

Not to scare you but if he’s being super picky he might just be a little stressed. My spiny box is always hungry.
So good thing is that he was just not interested in the clams at all for rn. But he devoured the krill and was going after the small pieces. And blood worms… I got today krill and tomorrow I’m going to get him some shrimp from grocery store for him. And some silverside/squid to expand his diet. But he devoured it like nothing! I’m so happy thank you so much!!

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I seen some white spots on his fin small white spots can it be ich??!!! These are screenshots from a video I took to show you his fins

Attachments

• IMG_4604.png
    IMG_4604.png
    557.9 KB · Views: 19

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I seen some white spots on his fin small white spots can it be ich??!!! These are screenshots from a video I took to show you his fins
Those could be ich spots or just broken fins rays. If the spots come and go and change location every few days, then it’s ich. If the same spots are in the same location for 3+ days it is broken fin rays.

OP
OP
K

killboyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So good thing is that he was just not interested in the clams at all for rn. But he devoured the krill and was going after the small pieces. And blood worms… I got today krill and tomorrow I’m going to get him some shrimp from grocery store for him. And some silverside/squid to expand his diet. But he devoured it like nothing! I’m so happy thank you so much!!
yayy yes all my fish LOVE bloodworms. you can get really cheap baby octopus/shrimp/smelt/squid at the Vallarta and grocery stores. "silversides" is smelt - saves u lots of money ha.

OP
OP
K

killboyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, mine got the exact same thing when i first got him. all the parameters looked fine in my tank and my fish store guy told me to just feed him. if he's eating he is fine! he's invincible now

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those could be ich spots or just broken fins rays. If the spots come and go and change location every few days, then it’s ich. If the same spots are in the same location for 3+ days it is broken fin rays.
Okay! Today is the first day I noticed so I will update on the 3rd day going to 4th. Thank you so much!!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! Today is the first day I noticed so I will update on the 3rd day going to 4th. Thank you so much!!
Hey Chela101

You have another thread you started yesterday on this same subject. Please note in the future that two threads addressing the same issue can become very confusing and difficult for responders to work with. The thread we are on here was started back in October. Many readers will ignore a thread of this nature when its that old. Infact, the last time this thread was active, prior to your questions yesterday was back in October.

Here's the thread you started yesterday but haven't replied to since.
Hello, so I recently got my box spine puffer fish and I noticed some small white dots on my fish. Barely starting and just on his fins. I have screenshots of a video that I took so you guys can see it

IMG_4604.png IMG_4603.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back