Spiny oyster

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Remember, as i said earlier, most assumptions about what they eat are incorrect. Most bivalves and scallops will do well eating Diatoms. Buy a bottle of Thalassiosira weisflogii, can be bought from reed mariculture. I've done well with flame scallops and others as well as gorgonia feeding it.

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a good size spiny oyster in the sump of our 125 reef tank. Since getting him, we hardly ever run the skimmer anymore. The owner at our LFS doesn't use skimmers often, she uses oysters instead. We now have one in every tank!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a good size spiny oyster in the sump of our 125 reef tank. Since getting him, we hardly ever run the skimmer anymore. The owner at our LFS doesn't use skimmers often, she uses oysters instead. We now have one in every tank!
Yall r killin me. Ive been looking for years now locally.
Kiss your lfs for me.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 new ones came from different stores in the lower mainland of BC. I realized that one came with a green mushroom of some sort & a pulsing Xenia. Bonuse!!

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see more I'll be sure to get a couple for the sump
What's their maximum size? I'm becoming a big fan of filter feeders.ive been on a waiting list for months for lfs to get some clams .

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last one I saw in person was as big as a soft ball.

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see more I'll be sure to get a couple for the sump
What's their maximum size? I'm becoming a big fan of filter feeders.ive been on a waiting list for months for lfs to get some clams .
Sorry, I have no idea. Our biggest is maybe 5 inches across. The one in the boicube is about 3 inches, but he came with a whole small colony of some blue zoanthids. And a gaudy clown crab hitched as well.

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Remember, as i said earlier, most assumptions about what they eat are incorrect. Most bivalves and scallops will do well eating Diatoms. Buy a bottle of Thalassiosira weisflogii, can be bought from reed mariculture. I've done well with flame scallops and others as well as gorgonia feeding it.

I noticed Seachem Reef Phytoplanktin has Thalassiosira weisflogii as one of its main ingredients. So, I just picked up a bottle of it for my newly collected spiny oyster or jewel box clam. Not sure which one he is yet.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed Seachem Reef Phytoplanktin has Thalassiosira weisflogii as one of its main ingredients. So, I just picked up a bottle of it for my newly collected spiny oyster or jewel box clam. Not sure which one he is yet.

I just did a quick search and couldn't find what percentage it is of their blend. Either way it will be significantly better than just trying to use the regular couple of species of Phytoplankton most people feed. I barely use other micro algae species in any quantity with non photosynthetic corals (I still do in my photosynthetic reefs) since I started feeding it to them and other filter feeders. The feeding response is always fantastic. One of these days I'll put a video up.

20170628_180031.jpg

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Seachem label listed it as one of three algae. Not sure of the amount though. I'll order from Reed while the Seachem will get me by until it arrives. Here is a cell phone picture of mine.
FullSizeRender.jpg

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2750.JPG
IMG_2751.JPG
IMG_2748.JPG
IMG_2750.JPG
IMG_2751.JPG
Hey I was at th lfs & they had for the second time ever more spiny oysters, so I got one, the price has increased considerably however.also picked up a pink spiny cucumber. & some Mexican turbos when feeding I just broadcast feed twice weekly some reefroids mixed into some photochrom and phytogold and I let some chopped homemade food and mysis absorb that, then broadcast feed . sometimes I consume a beverage whilst I watch not always though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang , you scored again!

All I got was freebies that like to kanoodle
IMG_1973.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bivalve that has grown strait out about seven inches for me. You can hardly see it because it's covered in zoas which quickly catch up every time the bivalve starts to grow upward. lol

c7ca47bd652e2e4533bcdd3891628b4d.jpg
I belive that is a mussle. Really awsome !!
Not sure how they Stop them from growing over the mouth. Chemical I don't guess
One Mine when I got it
IMG_0589.JPG

Three in the picture

jsh mee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belive that is a mussle. Really awsome !!
Not sure how they Stop them from growing over the mouth. Chemical I don't guess
One Mine when I got it
IMG_0589.JPG

Three in the picture
Yeah it's interesting. Those zoas do grow right over the mouth. When it opens, the zoas just stretch out like a net. Every once in a while you'll see new white shell growth quickly jet out the top for like half an inch and stop. Then the zoas catch up and cover it again. Lol

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2759.JPG
IMG_2765.JPG
IMG_2760.JPG
I bit the bullet & picked up a clam Yesterday, also another pearl oyster and a scallop ( just a regular scallop). But I'm really diggin the clam. Can hardly wait to get them out of qt & into th DT
IMG_2763.JPG

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2766.JPG
The more I see of it the more interesting it's becoming it sure didn't have the electric green trim or the golden brown at the fish store v, I am addicted. I will have to get another !

Last edited:

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got one in my non photosynthetic system. It's gigantic, around 6" across and a little bit longer than that. The turbidity in this system is very high. Because of a few other species needs, the system is fed particulate foods every hour. It opened up immediately and seems as happy as, well, an oyster.
20170728_172800.jpg

20170728_172641.jpg

Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back