Split personality Duncan

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody any thoughts about what’s happening with my Duncan. One head is happy, one a bit meh and the last unhappy. Nitrate 7, phos 0.03, kh 7, cal 440, salinity 1.025

BB2D1548-0993-4DE6-93A0-C83B156C511A.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a new development? Or is that one polyp head always closed?

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s relatively recent. The back one may open a bit but not like the front one. For what they show they’re nicely coloured. The back head are a couple pellets a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got home today all three heads were well out. Later in the evening they retreated to the above situation. Those two heads must just get tired earlier.

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further Update: The 2 remaining heads look to be getting better and better, however the best one now appears to be bailing out. Param's: Salinity 1.025/26 Nitrate ~10, Alk 7, Calcium ~430.

Once it starts to bail is there any recovering the situation>

#reefsquad

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further Update: The 2 remaining heads look to be getting better and better, however the best one now appears to be bailing out. Param's: Salinity 1.025/26 Nitrate ~10, Alk 7, Calcium ~430.

Once it starts to bail is there any recovering the situation>

#reefsquad

I've never had a head in that condition recover. To be honest every time that's happened it eventually progressed to the other heads. Hope that's not true in your case. I wonder if it's infectious because the two times it happened to me all the other LPS (and coral period) were happy and growing.

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I’ll just have to wait it out. It’s funny the Duncan was in the tank from the start. I changed from a stock white led bar to a Red Sea reefled90 and my original coral suffered badly. My candy canes went went first they went downhill looked to start recovering then bailed. These are looking to be going the same way recovery then bailing. If I can catch it I’ll try glue it to a piece of rubble.
It’s funny how the corals are split between pre and post light upgrade.

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I’ll just have to wait it out. It’s funny the Duncan was in the tank from the start. I changed from a stock white led bar to a Red Sea reefled90 and my original coral suffered badly. My candy canes went went first they went downhill looked to start recovering then bailed. These are looking to be going the same way recovery then bailing. If I can catch it I’ll try glue it to a piece of rubble.
It’s funny how the corals are split between pre and post light upgrade.
Did you try and use the acclimation setting on the new reef led lights? Just curios

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the acclimation but too fast and too high. I have the light at a good place now.

could I add a drop of coral glue to the base of the half bailed head to keep it in place?

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity has been stable and I regularly cross check it at my LFs.

I’ve noticed these growths and colour changeon the skeleton. Hopefully you can see in the picture

5FAA53DD-EE87-4D2F-A83E-B8EDD7598A20.jpeg

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity has been stable and I regularly cross check it at my LFs.

I’ve noticed these growths and colour changeon the skeleton. Hopefully you can see in the picture

5FAA53DD-EE87-4D2F-A83E-B8EDD7598A20.jpeg
That doesn’t look good. Are you running the lights full blast? They don’t like a lot of light. The tentacles look like they’ve lost all the zooxanthellae.

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, i should have put context around that pic, I took it this morning the lights have been off and its only ambient daylight in the room when the lights come on they look much better.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any flesh on the skeleton, just polyps. With duncans adjacent heads typically have green flesh on the base connecting heads.

While it can be saved, it does not look good. I would move it to a low light spot, and feed it proabbaly twice a week to help it recover. If it will not take food, do not force it to.

OP
OP
S

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks they are exhibiting good feeding response. They are near the bottom of my tank and I run blue max 60% and hite 35%

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back