OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved this thread to DIY so our #DIYwizards can help out. Interesting idea! I agree that insulation of some kind would be needed. Based on the size tank you're planning to go with, I'm thinking 3/8" panes would be the smallest I'd try due to the pressure/weight of 60-90 gallons of water in each side. I'm basing that on the size glass typically used in aquariums that size, but I'm certain some of the guys in here will have better answers.
Thanks for the move and the glass thickness recommendations

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an idea. Build a tank divider out of egg crate and pond foam. You can texture it to make it look like rock work and the foam will drastically reduce heat transfer. There is an article on foam walls here that is a great guide.

You can silicone it in and remove it later if you want to reuse the tank.
Thanks for the idea. How well sealed does that get? I think I read that seahorses shouldn’t come in contact with certain things that might be “dosed” in the main tank. I will explore this idea a bit more.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to leave an air gap between two panes of glass the thermal radiation will not happen because of the air gap, you can technically run two systems in one. (gap should be no less than 1/4" to make that work. One tank being cooler than the other.
But the question-arises, will you be setting up two filtration units and also running it as two separate tanks?
Also why worry about making a barrier. a seahorse tank operates near a coral tanks temps, just make sure that the temp is a couple degrees below the seahorse high side. Corals cal survive in temps as low as 64 degrees.
Interesting and thanks. RE your first question yes 2 separate systems ponies cannot get certain chemicals commonly used in main tanks for treating things like ich, etc.

ponies are also slow movers so no fast fish and should als be kept separate from certain fish, inverts and corals.

Pony temps are 70-74 for best health. Everything I am seeing so far for corals and fish is 72-78, primarily the higher end for best health. What do you run your system at and what fish and corals do you have?

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone remind me to reply to this tomorrow, England, lights nearly off, my twins are almost exactly like the op's post, 3/5 - 2/5 divided and in current config due to leaks the small side runs cooler?! ;)
LOL Najer here is your reminder, hope you had a good night. ;Happy

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting and thanks. RE your first question yes 2 separate systems ponies cannot get certain chemicals commonly used in main tanks for treating things like ich, etc.

ponies are also slow movers so no fast fish and should als be kept separate from certain fish, inverts and corals.

Pony temps are 70-74 for best health. Everything I am seeing so far for corals and fish is 72-78, primarily the higher end for best health. What do you run your system at and what fish and corals do you have?
My system runs with a chiller and I keep it at around 70-72F. I have two clowns, lawnmower blenny, wrasse, and a yellow tang right now.
Corals are soft, LPS, and SPS, while I also have two anemonies and the cuc for cleaning.
I have been running my tanks this cool for years since the cooler temps do not help host ich and velvet. Makes it harder for them to hit the peek of the first life cycles. Corals and fish are more hardy than people give them credit for.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system runs with a chiller and I keep it at around 70-72F. I have two clowns, lawnmower blenny, wrasse, and a yellow tang right now.
Corals are soft, LPS, and SPS, while I also have two anemonies and the cuc for cleaning.
I have been running my tanks this cool for years since the cooler temps do not help host ich and velvet. Makes it harder for them to hit the peek of the first life cycles. Corals and fish are more hardy than people give them credit for.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know what your experience has been. Your tank has similar fish etc. that I expect to have in my display tank. Does the cooler temperature affect growth of fish or corals?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Good to know what your experience has been. Your tank has similar fish etc. that I expect to have in my display tank. Does the cooler temperature affect growth of fish or corals?
Corals will grow a tad slower, but not all that noticeable to me. Fish will slow their metabolism but just be as healthy. They will not require as much feedings.
I feed once a day, and just enough that nothing hits the bottom.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals will grow a tad slower, but not all that noticeable to me. Fish will slow their metabolism but just be as healthy. They will not require as much feedings.
I feed once a day, and just enough that nothing hits the bottom.
Thanks for sharing...good stuff.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the idea. How well sealed does that get? I think I read that seahorses shouldn’t come in contact with certain things that might be “dosed” in the main tank. I will explore this idea a bit more.
For my AIO I did I have fairly complicated cuts at angles and it sealed fine except a small leak at the base. As long as you use a generous amount of foam and have clean, even cuts it will seal 100%. I would consider it because you can make the separation aesthetically pleasing and function (dips in walls for plugs, secure rock for a shelf scape and you can create caves/overhangs easily). Check out the guide!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Najer here is your reminder, hope you had a good night. ;Happy

Thanks! ;)

Custom made to my design, 165 x 650 x 450 cm / 65 x 26 x 18 inches.
At 100 cm there is a full glass divide that has a swim through hole for the fish and creatures.
Each side has it's own weir box and share the sump with a return to each end.
The right end is a display refugium and I have a sump refugium as well.
Oh and I don't view it from the front much, my desk is to the left. ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x274).jpg

DSC_0006 (1024x430).jpg

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! ;)

Custom made to my design, 165 x 650 x 450 cm / 65 x 26 x 18 inches.
At 100 cm there is a full glass divide that has a swim through hole for the fish and creatures.
Each side has it's own weir box and share the sump with a return to each end.
The right end is a display refugium and I have a sump refugium as well.
Oh and I don't view it from the front much, my desk is to the left. ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x274).jpg

DSC_0006 (1024x430).jpg
Thank you for the photos and description. A lot to consider as I start working on final plans. Great looking tank(s). Why do you think your right side runs a little cooler even though you have a swim hole? Looks like the deeper sand bed and lighting could be contributing factors.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the photos and description. A lot to consider as I start working on final plans. Great looking tank(s). Why do you think your right side runs a little cooler even though you have a swim hole? Looks like the deeper sand bed and lighting could be contributing factors.

I currently have a leak on the right side plumbing so the only feed into the tanks is in the display and then water moves through into the cube end so less exchange so slightly cooler.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Weasel1960 did you end up doing anything on this? Curious about your outcome.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Weasel1960 did you end up doing anything on this? Curious about your outcome.
Hi Daniel thanks for checking. Life invaded again and haven’t started the build yet.

I have also determined that the 180 gal would require some major up grades to my basement floor (at least one spread footing for a jack post) and some additional joists. I really wanted to do the build as a split tank though.

Instead I am downsizing to either a 120 or 90 gallon whichever can be done with either no modifications or just doubling up a couple of joists.

Either way tank stocking will be “peaceful” fish and corals that can cohabitate with h. Erectus seahorses as the primary focus. More to come soon, as I think I will be sending off info to a structural engineer later this month for review.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back