Splitting or unhappy?

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been acting funny for the past couple weeks. Not fully open, and often contorted in different shapes. IMG_20180430_205900_347.jpg IMG_20180430_133833_498.jpg

I want to think the 'split' i see in it's foot is it splitting into two. When looking at the top, it does look like two little mouths as well but hard to tell. It's looked like that for several weeks now.

Is it splitting, or the coral is actually just unhappy?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be splitting but mushrooms also are best on rocks and not in the sand bed. It may be moving around too much on the sand bed for it to stay fully open.

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah perhaps.

I've had it in the sandbed for acclimation since getting it. Now however, it's waiting until we make a visit to the only other local SW store in our area. Our thought is to not glue the plugs into the rock until we've checked out all the local shops and gotten all the initial corals.

I have a yuma also down on the sand, and it's fully open every day.

So the foot going over the ^ shape on the rock isn't necessarily the foot splitting into two? Do they tend to split from the foot up, or top down?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah perhaps.

I've had it in the sandbed for acclimation since getting it. Now however, it's waiting until we make a visit to the only other local SW store in our area. Our thought is to not glue the plugs into the rock until we've checked out all the local shops and gotten all the initial corals.

I have a yuma also down on the sand, and it's fully open every day.

So the foot going over the ^ shape on the rock isn't necessarily the foot splitting into two? Do they tend to split from the foot up, or top down?
The misshaped looking foot is most likely from it getting a good grip of the rock it's on. When a discosoma mushroom "splits" it moves around and leaves pieces of it's foot in places that become new mushrooms :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back