Sponge management - do I keep or remove it?

Army_of_mantis_men

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
56
Reaction score
40
Location
Czechia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,
title pretty much says it all - I've noticed some of the sponges that grow under my rocks merged and formed a colony-like structure. Now I don't really mind sponges but this area is starting to look a bit crowded, I eventually want Xenia to take over that area - do I go ahead and scrape it off of the rock, or should I not mind it and let Xenia do it's thing? If I get rid of it, it shouldn't be a major issue for the environment, right?
How would you approach it? Thanks,
P.

20260416_105901.jpg
 
Generally, sponges aren't going to cause any harm. I would just let the sponge do its thing
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new