Spotted Drum/Atlantic Tank Update

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a short clip of the surviving spotted drum and the progress on our Atlantic tank.

A few non photosynthetic gorgonians and inverts with a few other fish.

Coming along slowly. Going to shift some lighting around to get enough to support some flower anemones and zoanthids in this tank.

Spotted Drum Clip

Cheers!

Oliverhenry8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a short clip of the surviving spotted drum and the progress on our Atlantic tank.

A few non photosynthetic gorgonians and inverts with a few other fish.

Coming along slowly. Going to shift some lighting around to get enough to support some flower anemones and zoanthids in this tank.

Spotted Drum Clip

Cheers!
Such a beautiful fish. Have you kept them before. How big would they get roughly ? Is there a recommended tank size for them ? There is a guy on YouTube who has one. An adult. Looks stunning as an adult too. Majestic.

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a beautiful fish. Have you kept them before. How big would they get roughly ? Is there a recommended tank size for them ? There is a guy on YouTube who has one. An adult. Looks stunning as an adult too. Majestic.

I have had them in the past. They are ridiculously hard to get, mostly because the ones collectors find are post larval and kind of fragile. Once they get about 2 inches, they are very hardy. The largest one I have ever seen was between 9 and 10 inches long but more commonly 6-7 inches.

I would say minimum tank size would be 100 gallons. They do like to play in the sand finding worms and what not so a sandbed would keep them happy.

They dont tend to mess with other fish at all but will eat shrimp and crab as they grow...like their bigger cousins the redfish and black drum.

Cheers!

Oliverhenry8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great advice. I have one on order here in the UK. Hopefully it comes in the next month or so. I find the way they move so mesmerising. Especially as they get older. It's almost like watching a mammal. They move like a huge fish.

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great advice. I have one on order here in the UK. Hopefully it comes in the next month or so. I find the way they move so mesmerising. Especially as they get older. It's almost like watching a mammal. They move like a huge fish.
It is odd, i live in Florida and these guys can be found in the Keys...but it has been a decade since my last one. I had to beg and grovel to get this one collected...most collectors avoid them because they see them as fragile.

I have seen at least 5 available from UK vendors in the last 2 years but sadly they dont ship back to the US.

Good luck when you get yours. They truly are a rewarding fish to keep.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow- memories. . . . Drums.. . spadefish and high hats

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught these two on Sept 15th near Fowey Light a popular reef here in Miami. The smaller one is a high hat. We was a bycatch, swimming with the jackknife and ended up in my net. Both doing well in a 60 gal frag tank. What is the difference between a jackknife and spotted drum when juvenile? I thing the spotted drum

is more black stripped the jackknife more brown.

Attachments

• 6F39FF8F-9336-48B4-B906-101ECF64D6C9.jpeg
    6F39FF8F-9336-48B4-B906-101ECF64D6C9.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 49
  • B8194D69-C887-40E2-8DF8-28B06557F1B0.jpeg
    B8194D69-C887-40E2-8DF8-28B06557F1B0.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing. Early on fresh caught specimens can be finicky to feed. Keep blood worms and if possible, live black worms on hand. Once they are eating in the tank, the are easily adapted to other foods and will eventually take anything meaty.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my favorite fish. I want to add either this or a marine betta to my 180. But there are really little information on Spotted Drum available online.

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught these two on Sept 15th near Fowey Light a popular reef here in Miami. The smaller one is a high hat. We was a bycatch, swimming with the jackknife and ended up in my net. Both doing well in a 60 gal frag tank. What is the difference between a jackknife and spotted drum when juvenile? I thing the spotted drum

is more black stripped the jackknife more brown.
The jack knife is sharper, with a golden hue and a more downward angled swimming pattern. The nose is also more rounded.

The spotted drum has a more distinct wedge shape to its tail and the banded coloration is more centralized. Also, the dorsal fin on the spotted drum generally has a more pronounced trailer, even as the fish nears 3 to 4 inches in length. The jack knife loses that trailer earlier on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my favorite fish. I want to add either this or a marine betta to my 180. But there are really little information on Spotted Drum available online.
What would you like to know? I will help however i can :)

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, is it suitable for a reef tank? Given I don't care about having shrimp or crabs.
Generally yes. It will not mess with corals or other sessile inverts like clams. When it is larger, it will eat crabs and shrimp if it isnt kept well fed.

They are peaceful towards other fish, have a great appetite once they are past the larval/early stage and are hardy.

They like lower light and will be most active under your actinics and moonlights but they are not shy and just kind of cruise about.

Like all drums, they can carry parasites both internal and external so, before you add them be sure to quarantine.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and fishes. I’ve also had a royal gramma which I see you also have , mine for about 14 yrs. I have a jackknife and a high hat. These 2 have been hanging out together since they got caught, lol. The high hat was so tiny, that I never saw. ! I netted the jackknife under a rock and next thing I know, I caught a high hat hitchhiker, lol. These I started on live brine shrimp, and now eating frozen and pellets even. The highhat is growing really fast. Both together in a 60gal frag. Not sure If I want to keep them long term, might need some peppermint shrimp to rid Aiptasia and these 2 guys will devour the shrimp .

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and fishes. I’ve also had a royal gramma which I see you also have , mine for about 14 yrs. I have a jackknife and a high hat. These 2 have been hanging out together since they got caught, lol. The high hat was so tiny, that I never saw. ! I netted the jackknife under a rock and next thing I know, I caught a high hat hitchhiker, lol. These I started on live brine shrimp, and now eating frozen and pellets even. The highhat is growing really fast. Both together in a 60gal frag. Not sure If I want to keep them long term, might need some peppermint shrimp to rid Aiptasia and these 2 guys will devour the shrimp .
If you decide to keep them, go with berghia to eat the aiptasia.

I really want to get my hands on another spotted drum. It is nerve wracking that something unforseen may happen to this one and i would be devastated lol

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally yes. It will not mess with corals or other sessile inverts like clams. When it is larger, it will eat crabs and shrimp if it isnt kept well fed.

They are peaceful towards other fish, have a great appetite once they are past the larval/early stage and are hardy.

They like lower light and will be most active under your actinics and moonlights but they are not shy and just kind of cruise about.

Like all drums, they can carry parasites both internal and external so, before you add them be sure to quarantine.

Sounds very similar to marine betta. They max out at 12", right?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back