Springeri Damsels

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting at least one of these Damsels to help with flatworms and for that beautiful blue. I understand that the Springeri is one of the least aggresive damsels but I'm still a little concerned. I've got flasher and fairy wrasses along with a pair of clowns, pair of anthia and a yellow tang. Would having more than one decrease the chances of aggression? Would the Springeri be more apt to fight among themselves or with other fish if I got 2 or 3? I've got a 120g tank.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never worked with Springeri, but have a trio of azures in a 65.

For the most part, they keep their feisting among themselves, though they can be abusive toward newcomers. They're a nice "pop" of true blue, and quite entertaining to watch!

~Bruce

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do 4-6 with no problems,,IMO,,but its a damsel..they are very laid back for say but still a damsel,,I have several in each tank of mine,,keep them fed and you should be good to go..

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. That's encouraging. I'm thinking three would be nice but don't want triple the violence.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 6 blue saphires and 4 springeri in a 80 gallon frag tank,,they have their own territories and act fine,,very minor squabbles but are good for the most part..keep them fed and moderate current/flow.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I see there are two forms commonly sold as Springeri. https://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/19/chrysiptera-springer/ One expert says the blue and black form is an undescibed species. I like the blue and black more. Looks like Blue Zoo sells the blue version and LA sells the blue and black version. Wonder which is more likely to help with flatworms?

Last edited:

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have both varieties,,the blue/black ones are far more passive and have seen them hover over zoa colonies looking for food,,the others are just dig in the sand making their territories and have attitudes like your normal damsel,,JME

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems with mine in two different tanks. Zero signs of any aggression.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d2mini, which variety do you have? Looks like I'm hearing what I want to hear about the blue/black variety. Thanks all!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting conversation.

Im just about to order 4 from LA - should i do 6 instead?- , for my 180. Id heard the blue and black variety are super passive and will school as opposed to stake out territories if introduced into a tank with established fish. At the time of introduction to the DT, ill have 2 onyx picasso clown, a randalls goby, a mag foxface and a pink spotted goby. then later a YT, PT, and 7-11 dispar anthias.

Im hoping my info is accurate, because i love the look and think a small school will be cool.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not school, they do stake out small territories, but they aren't aggressive.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None school, they all form social territories, but they are still territories. Lepidozygous will shoal like anyjias.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back