SPS and Shipping

zromano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a question as it relates to shipping with corals that’s probably a dumb one but still want to check. I purchased some SPS from WWC this weekend and have a shipment coming in from them tomorrow. I’ve had SPS in the tank and am not concerned about keeping it but am concerned with how long they stay in the box.

If my shipment went out today and arrives tomorrow morning by 10:30 AM am I safe to wait until 6 PM to open the package up and drip the corals?

If this is fine, for other’s references, what’s the total time you’ve left SPS frags in their box and how long is a reasonable amount of time?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woudnt wait that long. Softies, would be no problem. Acros I wouldnt put them through the added stress. I've had corals get delivered late, around 3ish, and they didnt make it.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time yes they are safe in the box as long as wasnt exposed to the elements. Ive had shipments sent to me at work, and leave in the box till i leave and get back home.

But need to read the vendors doa policy. If they require one of shipment photos...

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always get them out as soon as possible to limit stress, that's the responsibility you have to them. That being said, it could be fine, if you have to, but I don't recommend it. I'm not sure anyone will. Trans shipments (imports) are in a box for quite some time, but they're very stressed by the time they land and the losses can be high. It's best you get them out of the bags as soon as you can.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had stuff delivered to my office and didn’t open until 6pm as well. Luckily I’ve only experience one loss. Not saying I’d recommend it, but I’ve gotten pretty lucky. I’m just not able to take a day off just to receive corals of want to pay extra for Saturday delivery.

OP
OP
zromano

zromano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: followed some of the advice, went home at lunch and have the corals dripping! Not much time at all between arrival and pulling them out of the bags. Thanks for the advice all!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future sake, it’s ok to wait if temperatures are within comfortable ranges. That’s really the biggest stressor in shipping. I’ve had a package of acros going out to Oregon from here in Texas that got held up in Memphis for 72 hours due to an engine malfunction. I was prepared to refund the pack but the buyer was understanding in my curiosity of waiting till they arrive just to see how they did and he reported they were still colorful with full PE in the bags when he got them so no refund was necessary. Didn’t hear back beyond that If they survived long term but they made the trip just fine even with the delay. It was mid spring though and temps were in the upper 70’s the whole time

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back