SPS browning / losing tissue and then bleaching....why?

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that stability is a major factor here. July especially is all over the place. It is difficult to get it really stable. I am aiming for less than 0.2 variation per day maximum and usually achieve better than that these days, but it took a while. Even when you do get it stable it takes SPS a good while to buck up again and for you to see the results.
I noticed recently that though my dKh was tested daily and was looking stable, that in actual fact there was a reasonable variation within the day. The intra day was even pushing 0.3 on occasion. Why? Because I was dosing once a day and then it would slowly fall, only to be pushed back up the next day. I have combated that by now dosing smaller amounts 12 times a day, that has further improved the stability..... lots of little things at play.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for Aluminium Triton ICP shows 2ug/l as a target, but basically 0 is good
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 17.14.32.jpg

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 8 months into my new setup and I'm experiencing similar struggles with acropora (of which I had never had before in my previous 15yrs). This setup was my first try starting with dry rock and I finally realized my Real Reef rock was increasing alkalinity by 1dkh each week. I have started dosing to lower/stabilize alkalinity with acid buffer. This also lowers pH so it has to be done slowly and carefully, but ever since doing so my acropora are starting to show signs of rebound. It also definitely takes time for bacteria to colonize and stabilize with dry rock. With ocean harvested rock it is much easier to have success straight away. I wouldn't chase possible small miscellaneous issues yet, these are witch hunts 99.9% of the time anyhow. Just stabilize your Alk and feed generously to encourage growth on and within your rock.

OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the suggested Alum levels in a reef tank?

.16 PPM is 16 ugl. ICP recommends 2 UGL. Could that be my problem?

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have access to anyone with some nice mature live rock? Maybe you could steal a piece and toss it in. It might speed things up a bit.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the suggested Alum levels in a reef tank?

.16 PPM is 16 ugl. ICP recommends 2 UGL. Could that be my problem?

.16ppm Al is probably not a source of concern. That's pretty much in line with the amount that would be expected in any tank using artificial salt mixes and other sources of a small amount of aluminum (foods, phosphate removers, etc). If I'm not mistaken, toxicity concerns start when it gets into the .4-.5ppm and above range.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back