SPS doing bad after dosing nutrients

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Neophos and Neonitro about 2 weeks ago. My no3 was 0, sometimes 1 and phos was about the same with Hanna testers. I've got LPS and SPS in my tank about a year now. The over all growth has been slow and colors not great. I only have 3 small fish in an 80 gallon tank right now, planning on getting more in the near future so I dont have to dose nutrients. After dosing a few days a monti cap bleach out and the other sps started looking bad, polyps receding color getting worse, the lps on the other hand have been getting puffy and color getting better.

I stopped dosing a few days ago, did a 20% water change hoping to reverse the sps from dying off but they dont look good and a chalice looks like its on its way out too.

Here are my numbers: PH 7.9-8.1, temp 79-80, salinity 1.025, alk 8.1 on a hanna, N03 1.1 hanna, pho .02 hanna ulr, cal 430, mag 1425, 80 gal tank, Ive been dosing BSR 2 part for cal and alk.

Any recommendations or insight would be a big help because I'm at a lost.
Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd feed more. Feed the fish at least 3 times a day till both numbers are up. It could be a lot of things but that would be what I'd rule out first. Or you can soak the fish food in excess vitachem or something. I think dosing nitrate or phosphate is best when one value is good but the other is poor. In this case, both are poor (, particularly in a tank with practically no fish).

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking it must be something else as that shouldn't have been anything detrimental to the sps. As stated above you could try to rule that out with feeding more but with 3 fish I'm thinking extra heavy feeding will lead to different problems.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Neophos and Neonitro about 2 weeks ago. My no3 was 0, sometimes 1 and phos was about the same with Hanna testers. I've got LPS and SPS in my tank about a year now. The over all growth has been slow and colors not great. I only have 3 small fish in an 80 gallon tank right now, planning on getting more in the near future so I dont have to dose nutrients. After dosing a few days a monti cap bleach out and the other sps started looking bad, polyps receding color getting worse, the lps on the other hand have been getting puffy and color getting better.

I stopped dosing a few days ago, did a 20% water change hoping to reverse the sps from dying off but they dont look good and a chalice looks like its on its way out too.

Here are my numbers: PH 7.9-8.1, temp 79-80, salinity 1.025, alk 8.1 on a hanna, N03 1.1 hanna, pho .02 hanna ulr, cal 430, mag 1425, 80 gal tank, Ive been dosing BSR 2 part for cal and alk.

Thanks
I don't believe it is related to dosing Nitrates/Phosphates.

Coincidence.

OP
OP
G

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 should have been dosed first. Get that reading up to minimum 0.05, then work on the no3.
IMO, coral need that po4. Ammonium it seems you have(no3 0 to 1).
I was following Brightwells directions on dosing their products. I was adding microbacter7 daily, then raising phos .02 daily until I got to .05 then maintaining that and adding 2 daily of the nitro until I got to 5 . When the sps starting looking bad I stopped dosing, the monti cap went first, bleached out in a day, the others just look really bad.

I didnt check for Ammonia, but I do have a seachem badge and it has stayed yellow.

Only thing I'm sure at this point is it went from bad to worse when I tried to fix the low nutrients.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was following Brightwells directions on dosing their products. I was adding microbacter7 daily, then raising phos .02 daily until I got to .05 then maintaining that and adding 2 daily of the nitro until I got to 5 . When the sps starting looking bad I stopped dosing, the monti cap went first, bleached out in a day, the others just look really bad.

I didnt check for Ammonia, but I do have a seachem badge and it has stayed yellow.

Only thing I'm sure at this point is it went from bad to worse when I tried to fix the low nutrients.
Ammonia won’t hurt corals they actually prefer it… fish is another story…!you got something else going on.. had you dozed mb7 before that? Could have had a bacterial bloom and clearer water that contributed to the bleaching or something along them lines… hard to say really..

OP
OP
G

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia won’t hurt corals they actually prefer it… fish is another story…!you got something else going on.. had you dozed mb7 before that? Could have had a bacterial bloom and clearer water that contributed to the bleaching or something along them lines… hard to say really
This is the first time I've added the mb7. I used the mb start xlm when I first cycled the tank about a year and a half ago and was adding their mb clean for awhile.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Dburr1014 said, get a steady PO4 reading first. It can take a LOT of dosing. I literally dosed a liter of DIY trisodium phosphate solution before I could keep a reading.

Second, I doubt the coral demise is directly related to dosing. Something else -- or a delayed reaction from lack of nutrient.

Third, as others have said MORE FISH. They secrete a constant source of ammonia which corals require. You will never see a thriving natural reef with tons of fish.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Bleachd out, or had RTN/STN? Did the corals loose their zooxanhellae and still had transparent tissue and polyps?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Dr RFH has said many times, you have no idea about the purity of those products. While adding some no3 and po4 is probably fine, food/lab grade reagents are a far more safe way to do it. If you think that any manufacturer has any idea of the purity of the things that they use, or test for purity, then you are kidding yourself.

I doubt that there was any toxins in the Neo stuff, but it is possible... and also avoidable.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to also keep in mind, usually it takes time to go from good to bad. But when attempting to address issues you might want to go slow when going from bad to good.
But this doesn’t apply always if for example fish is lacking oxygen, you better add it asap.
From description I suspect starvation is the issue. PO4/NO3 and lights are not going to feed your corals. Unfortunately they do need food. From my experience monti are one of first corals to show things are not going well.

Mr.Fishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to start dosing Neophos and Neonitate about 3 months into my new tank. Have a solid fish load but couldn't keep the nutrients to stay detectable. Finally after the six ish month mark I had numbers I was happy with. Now the tank is right at the one year mark and nutrients undetectable again even when feed heavy for weeks. Started to slowly bring them back up with dosing again and BAM all my sps RTN over night. They were all small colony's and frags that were all put in the tank about 4 months ago. I was dosing nitrates in the am and phos at night.

brianxcheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also plan to using this method, currently my tank N 0.0 P 0.02. I do feed more n more 3 time per days. But only Po4 raising up a little to 0.05. Now also plan to dosing N. Just a bit concern have the same situation. Tank size n vintage almost is the same. Anyone can have some direction thank

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience dosing nutrients. Started dosing phyto instead to raise nutrients. I prefer this much more

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back