OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank, will definitely following your thread, We have the same tank starting to add SPS
kidrileynuvo20.jpg
Tank looks sharp!

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I ran into a problem.. one night will looking at my sps with a flashlight, I noticed my Montipora were covered in little 'bugs'! Kind of like red bugs, but they were black. The odd thing was that I haven't added any SPS in a long time, and I rigorously dip my coral. So how did they manage to slip by? Initially I thought of dosing my tank with interceptor, but It's difficult to find here in Canada. Not only that, but it kills off a lot of beneficial things in the tank as well. The only thing that changed was that I lost my old sixline wrasse a while back when he jumped. My theory is that he was keeping the bugs under control by predating them. So I picked up another sixline, and sure enough it started eating them. I still ended up removing the infected Montipora so I could dip them. I've decided to just leave some of the spots empty, as with time my coral will need the space. This occurred a while back, and since then I have yet to see any bugs on the few Montipora I have, as well as my Acropora. Aside from that I moved my clownfish over to a small mangrove tank I have running. I also removed the Nero 5 from the tank (now using it in the mangrove tank), and added a second mp10. Overall the growth has been great, for my future SPS tank I plan on quarantining all of my SPS so I don't have to deal with this again...

IMG_2996.jpg

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I forgot to add; I also sold my bubble coral as well as my frogspawn. They were getting too large for my tank. Replaced them with a maricultured scroll coral and a sweet Aussie goni I picked up while unpacking a shipment (I work at my LFS part time; I'm a student). Here's a shot of my fastest growing SPS, it grows like a weed. It's funny to look back on my first post on this thread and see how much my coral have grown. Hopefully I can say the same a year from now!

IMG_0516.JPG

Last edited:

kidrileynuvo30L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I ran into a problem.. one night will looking at my sps with a flashlight, I noticed my Montipora were covered in little 'bugs'! Kind of like red bugs, but they were black. The odd thing was that I haven't added any SPS in a long time, and I rigorously dip my coral. So how did they manage to slip by? Initially I thought of dosing my tank with interceptor, but It's difficult to find here in Canada. Not only that, but it kills off a lot of beneficial things in the tank as well. The only thing that changed was that I lost my old sixline wrasse a while back when he jumped. My theory is that he was keeping the bugs under control by predating them. So I picked up another sixline, and sure enough it started eating them. I still ended up removing the infected Montipora so I could dip them. I've decided to just leave some of the spots empty, as with time my coral will need the space. This occurred a while back, and since then I have yet to see any bugs on the few Montipora I have, as well as my Acropora. Aside from that I moved my clownfish over to a small mangrove tank I have running. I also removed the Nero 5 from the tank (now using it in the mangrove tank), and added a second mp10. Overall the growth has been great, for my future SPS tank I plan on quarantining all of my SPS so I don't have to deal with this again...

acsnanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There! Im looking to start a 20G cube and was looking at getting the AI Hydra 32 and an AI Nero 3 to sync up with each other. Are you happy with the par and spread from this fixture?

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There! Im looking to start a 20G cube and was looking at getting the AI Hydra 32 and an AI Nero 3 to sync up with each other. Are you happy with the par and spread from this fixture?
I'm using a hydra 26 and a prime HD to light this tank. The PAR is more than enough, and the spread is good. A 32 would work, and i'm sure you'd get decent spread with it. Really just depends on the coral you plan on keeping.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my 'purple dragon' acro to my soft coral tank. It was getting too much light. I also sold my staghorn because I felt like the tank was too green. Picked up a RRC Goldenrod on black friday, and also got a RRC Purple nepthea (stereonepthya). I hope both grow out very well. Aside from that I also moved my clam and goni around, as the clam was beginning to become shaded by the Acros above it. Now it seems much happier being able to soak up more light. Growth has been great. At this point I'm happy with my coral selection, now I just sit and watch everything grow out. I have another tank planned (t5 acro only tank), so when this one becomes overgrown I'll be able to move some large frags over to the new system to free space if needed.

IMG_4380.jpg IMG_4381.jpg IMG_4382.jpg IMG_4383.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some update shots. Moved to T5 only (ATI Sunpower Dimmable 24x4) - the difference in growth and colour is clearly apparent. I've made some huge frags off my tort a few times, as it just grows too fast. I also have a new build in the works, which will also be sps dominant (I have a t5 hybrid fixture for that one). I plan on adding less species, and just focusing on growing out a few large colonies.

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5599.jpg
    IMG_5599.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5600.jpg
    IMG_5600.jpg