SPS dominate LED users

diablomaster9045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

So I am considering the swap from Halide to LED and was hoping there were some people on here with SPS dominated tank lit with LED.

The tank is a 120g SPS dominated reef.

Some lights I am considering:

Hydra 52's
Radeon Gen 3's
Reefbreeders Photon 48
4x 165w china LEDs
Maxspec R420r 300w

If anyone is willing, could you guys post a FTS ,what types of LEDs you are running, and how long you have been running them for?

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a LED/T5 would be nicer.
I have not seen a nice sps dominated tank that is lit by just LED.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are not going to get many feed back from this.
Because tank with just LED is not easy to take photo. The picture will come out looking ugly and usually washout. and therefore people will not post picture of their SPS tank when their tank photo are looking bad.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of a tank using DIY Cree LEDs

tank2013-2_zpse21989db.jpg

tank2013-1_zpsab1b0481.jpg

light2013-1_zps0b4eb1c8.jpg

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because tank with just LED is not easy to take photo. The picture will come out looking ugly and usually washout. and therefore people will not post picture of their SPS tank when their tank photo are looking bad.

Can't disagree more. There's this thing called White balance, learn it. Tons of great sps tanks running LEDs and ReefLEDLights just proved it. Great tank by the way ReefLEDLights looking good

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL what?

IMG_5221 by paulkreider60, on Flickr

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently replaced my 3 reefbreeders value fixtures with 3 hydra 26 after the blue leds burnt in the value fixtures and I saw the 26's drop to $300. So far I really like them and the director controller. I ordered a 4th hydra 26 for even better coverage. I like multiple 26 over 52 unless the tank is really deep. AI told me the 26 run each led higher so 2 26's are more powerful than 1 52, but I just like the coverage.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the age but at least 7 years. We helped with the lights 4 years ago and these pics were from last year. Initially 400 watt MH were used but that became to expensive due to heat.

The right LEDs and schedule do grow SPS quite well.

OP
OP
diablomaster9045

diablomaster9045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the age but at least 7 years. We helped with the lights 4 years ago and these pics were from last year. Initially 400 watt MH were used but that became to expensive due to heat.

The right LEDs and schedule do grow SPS quite well.

Is that tank owner a r2r user?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm glad to see this thread get some responses as have been waiting patiently not wanting to be the 'cranky old guy' here. So, I can tell you quite honestly that after 33 years in Reefkeeping and having successfully used everything but Plasma I would never go back in lighting tech. Even my nearly 5 year old DIY design is right there with the high/over priced LED fixtures available today and light years beyond MH and T5 tech. Anyone that says LED's won't grow Corals or are sub par to MH or T5 are full of balogna and have very little knowledge of PAR/PUR or even lighting needs of Corals and plants in general. IMHO there is no better lighting to be had and with just a bit of research can learn the ins & outs or do's and dont's to LED use. Ecotech, AI, Orphek, Maxspect are all very nice fixtures especially if you need/want the 'Cool' factor but for value or cost effectiveness I'd much rather use Reef Radiance, Reef Breeders or Ocean Revive units as standard type lighting and probable Kessil for where a pendant is more suited. There is nothing 'wrong' with MH, T5 or even VHO style lighting it's just their inherent flaws in light spectrum degradation giving them very short lived effectiveness by comparison.

A few random pics of my Reeftank exclusively lit with broad spectrum DIY LED's from the start.
Bicolor Anthias 1-12-14.jpg
FISH photo-bombed 1-10-15.jpg
FTS 7-01-14.jpg
Top Down front left 5-6-14.jpg
Top Down mid center 5-6-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Bicolor Anthias 1-12-14.jpg

FISH photo-bombed 1-10-15.jpg

FTS 7-01-14.jpg

Top Down front left 5-6-14.jpg

Top Down mid center 5-6-14.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm glad to see this thread get some responses as have been waiting patiently not wanting to be the 'cranky old guy' here. So, I can tell you quite honestly that after 33 years in Reefkeeping and having successfully used everything but Plasma I would never go back in lighting tech. Even my nearly 5 year old DIY design is right there with the high/over priced LED fixtures available today and light years beyond MH and T5 tech. Anyone that says LED's won't grow Corals or are sub par to MH or T5 are full of balogna and have very little knowledge of PAR/PUR or even lighting needs of Corals and plants in general. IMHO there is no better lighting to be had and with just a bit of research can learn the ins & outs or do's and dont's to LED use. Ecotech, AI, Orphek, Maxspect are all very nice fixtures especially if you need/want the 'Cool' factor but for value or cost effectiveness I'd much rather use Reef Radiance, Reef Breeders or Ocean Revive units as standard type lighting and probable Kessil for where a pendant is more suited. There is nothing 'wrong' with MH, T5 or even VHO style lighting it's just their inherent flaws in light spectrum degradation giving them very short lived effectiveness by comparison.

A few random pics of my Reeftank exclusively lit with broad spectrum DIY LED's from the start.
Bicolor Anthias 1-12-14.jpg FISH photo-bombed 1-10-15.jpg FTS 7-01-14.jpg Top Down front left 5-6-14.jpg Top Down mid center 5-6-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

I couldn't agree more. I really liked my reefbreeders, but a word of caution to anyone with them or similar LEDs, you might not want to run them at 100%, as I said earlier the blues in 2 of my 3 units burnt. They are now for freshwater plant tanks, lol. I don't know if reefbreeders uses the same LED diodes as other Chinese fixtures, but I do want to let people know it can happen so either use more fixtures or optics to get the PAR you need, don't run them at 100.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back