SPS fading or browning?

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Added SPS a bit early to my new 220g system. Never had a refugium before and didn’t expect it to bottom of nutrients - which is when these were added - fast forward three weeks (after feeding very heavily didn’t work besides to raise po4 to 0.08 no3 0) I dosed sodium nitrate up to 8ppm. Within 3 days no3 came back down to 5, which is where I’m at now with 0.05 po4.

They are also about 24” under a kessil a500.

One is a JF green slimer, other is a “radical red” stag that greened out over the course of a week and then started fading more and more. I have 2 or 3 other corals with these same exact signs - but then about 8 that look great.
IMG_0615.jpeg
IMG_0616.jpeg

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you used dry rock , it can suck up PO4 till it finds its balance. I have had to dose nitrates and phosphates for 6 months to a year depending on how efficient your filters are. I.e rollermat,skimmer.

The best way I have found to keep your nutrients protected is to set up an automatic doser with Nitrates and phosphates and testing daily if you can till you see a positive trend. Then testing can go to weekly. Testing daily initially is important because nutrient swings are just as stressful as alk swings to SPS. Spread out dosing every 4 hours with smaller amounts till you see a positive trend. Low nutrients, less par. Higher nutrients, higher par. It will turn around for you.

One more comment, like you said , refugium is too efficient. Until you balance your nutrients and have a decent bioload, I would take the refugium offline. Otherwise it will be a frustrating battle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to everyone here! I ghosted R2R for a bit with a busy schedule - I hope you all had a happy thanksgiving as well!!

People asked for all parameters so here they are:

October 2
Temp: 78 F
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 7.6 - Red Sea - suspect
Nitrate: 3.9 ppm - Hanna
Phosphate: 0.04ppm - Red Sea pro
Alkalinity: 8.8 dKH - Hanna
Calcium: 500ppm - Red Sea
Magnesium: 1480ppm - Red Sea

December 1
No3 Hanna: 3.7ppm
Po4 Hanna: .08ppm
pH Salifert: 8.15
Alk Hanna: 7.5 dKh
Calcium Hanna: 496ppm
Magnesium Redsea: 1480ppm

It’s worth noting between those two dates is when the no3 & po4 bottomed out! That was actually the last test they even read on until about half way through November!

Natural Reef I wish I would’ve seen your comment earlier! Lol however I must’ve gotten lucky - I dosed nitrates up to 8ppm using sodium nitrate on November 8 and everything immediately looked better, the tank consumed about 2ppm nitrate every 3 days for the first week almost two before stabilizing between 3-4 where I am now. I increased feeding substantially and have seemed to level out at these readings.

I know the Alk today is low. However I believe the fading issue is unrelated to that because even before consumption began they were dull & faded. I’m beginning to suspect it’s just lighting because I actually have pretty darn good growth on almost all the frags beginning to encrust their plugs and everything. What do you all think?

Also side note - since the alk is so low I picked up reef code a & b today. But with calcium already being high I think just use the buffer part right? And raise very slowly.

I have a Par meter, 60” quad reefbrite kit, and the other 2 kessil A500’s showing up Wednesday. I think I’m very close to getting this thing dialed in. Next step will be setting up dosing lol

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to everyone here! I ghosted R2R for a bit with a busy schedule - I hope you all had a happy thanksgiving as well!!

People asked for all parameters so here they are:

October 2
Temp: 78 F
pH: 7.6 - Red Sea - suspect
Nitrate: 3.9 ppm - Hanna
Phosphate: 0.04ppm - Red Sea pro
Alkalinity: 8.8 dKH - Hanna
Calcium: 500ppm - Red Sea
Magnesium: 1480ppm - Red Sea

December 1

It’s worth noting between those two dates is when the no3 & po4 bottomed out! That was actually the last test they even read on until about half way through November!

Natural Reef I wish I would’ve seen your comment earlier! Lol however I must’ve gotten lucky - I dosed nitrates up to 8ppm using sodium nitrate on November 8 and everything immediately looked better, the tank consumed about 2ppm nitrate every 3 days for the first week almost two before stabilizing between 3-4 where I am now. I increased feeding substantially and have seemed to level out at these readings.

I know the Alk today is low. However I believe the fading issue is unrelated to that because even before consumption began they were dull & faded. I’m beginning to suspect it’s just lighting because I actually have pretty darn good growth on almost all the frags beginning to encrust their plugs and everything. What do you all think?

Also side note - since the alk is so low I picked up reef code a & b today. But with calcium already being high I think just use the buffer part right? And raise very slowly.

I have a Par meter, 60” quad reefbrite kit, and the other 2 kessil A500’s showing up Wednesday. I think I’m very close to getting this thing dialed in. Next step will be setting up dosing lol
Yes add more alk additve while you let the calcium come down slowly. 500 is too high.

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dosed reef code part B yesterday using the calculator on BRS - I dosed the amount required to raise alk from 7.5 to 8.5 dKh

I just tested alk using two different test kits and alk is now at 7.3?!

Is Randy around? lol is this because of my magnesium being high? I think I saw somewhere that can interfere with alkalinity. I’m currently making soda ash because this reef code b was something I had lying around that was half empty & given to me and now idk if it’s old or what and I’m trying to take out as many variables as I can.

Any advice anyone!? Alk is getting waaayyy too low for my liking!!!

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterdays parameters
December 1

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELL everyone - lol

The soda ash solution based off Randy’s instructions worked. My alk is already up to 7.8 (from 7.3) so either reef code B NEEDS A or the stuff is just expired and old. I’m willing to bet something is up with it and it’s old since someone just gave it to me. lol anyhow now that my alk IS coming back up - i plan on setting it around 9 - 9.5

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back