SPS issues

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I'm having some issues with my sps. Most of them seem to have really tight polyps and odd growth. They seem to also have bubbles within their flesh. My milli used to have great polyp extension, but after my tank almost crashed back in september due to something unknown it hasnt been the same. All the corals recovered with 3 larger 40% water changes over the course of a week. My corals are also a lot greener than they used to be. I have plenty of light and flow and my ph is boosted by kalkwasser. Params are measured weekly. I've also done an icp test and found nothing out of whack. Here are some pictures I took today of my sps and my WD and whatever acropora is next to it have great color and relatively good polyp extension, they just don't seem to grow.

NO3: 15
PO4: 0.14
KH:8.2
CA: 460
MG:1350

the last two pictures are from august before the crash for polyp and shape reference

DSC00573.jpg DSC00574.jpg DSC00576.jpg DSC00587.jpg DSC00588.jpg DSC00589.jpg IMG_0582.PNG IMG_0581.PNG

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try bringing down nitrates to around 5ppm and hold it there for a week or two. Leave phosphates where they are. I’m basically doing exactly what you’re doing right now, including running kalk. I had an over abundance of “green” and a little slow down in growth as I allowed nitrates to hit 25ppm. I’m down to 2ppm now as I’m testing the ULNS theory, but I’m keeping Po4 around .10 to be safe. I’m noticing my reds are coming out much better now and i’m already noticing better growth. Polyp extension seems a little better too. Give it a shot.

OP
OP
TheGreenReefer

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try bringing down nitrates to around 5ppm and hold it there for a week or two. Leave phosphates where they are. I’m basically doing exactly what you’re doing right now, including running kalk. I had an over abundance of “green” and a little slow down in growth as I allowed nitrates to hit 25ppm. I’m down to 2ppm now as I’m testing the ULNS theory, but I’m keeping Po4 around .10 to be safe. I’m noticing my reds are coming out much better now and i’m already noticing better growth. Polyp extension seems a little better too. Give it a shot.
Are you trying to keep po4 up cause of Dino’s? I’ve been thinking about bringing down nitrates and phosphates. How much kalk are you dosing?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to keep po4 up cause of Dino’s? I’ve been thinking about bringing down nitrates and phosphates. How much kalk are you dosing?
I’m more worried about bottoming out Po4 and getting STN on my acros than anything. My system is 65g in total and i’m dosing full strength kalk (2 tsp/gal) @ 1ml per minute through a kamoer fx-stp doser running 24/7.

Dkh 9
Cal 450
Mg 1350
Nitrates 2ppm
Po4 .10ppm
Sg 1.026
Temp 79

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ruled out pests? Last picture looks like could be possible bite marks, but also could be a number of different things. If pests are ruled out, I've noticed over the years that some systems can become carbon limited, and minor carbon dosing can increase bacteria load and PE and overall health of coral, while obviously reducing some no3. Just a thought about something I've noticed over time in different systems, and its a balancing act if that is the case.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back