Sps polyp no extension

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

I have an issue i can't understand, my tank has been stable as stable as i can get it for at least 6-7 months. I cant understand why polyps of my harder sps are retracted.

My Millepora, spathulata and another sps show very little polyp extension if any at all. All had great extension the first 2- 3 months. Spathulata was the last that came in 3 months ago and last week the polyps show the same issue as in the Millie and other sps.

Growth is kind of good, Millie just ecrusts and gets a bit thicker so i changed the flow more indirect probably 2-3 months back. Spathulata is also encrusting slowly, other sps is growing a bit more and has a few stuck together branches (hence i thought it was rough flow)

Color is very good. Polyps are retracted day and night, i can't see anything bothering them.

The (easy) sps as Milka pocillopora Montis forestfire, bubblegum, purple one all have good growth and great extension.
LPs thrive and so does the zoa's

Fish: blue line wrasse, a juvenile hepatus tang, 1 anthias, spotted blenny

Tank: red Sea 170e
Flow: one tunze old narrow flow aimed at the surface, 2 jebao slw 20 aimed at each other with random flow. Strength on pumps is 8 of 10.

Lightning: hydra 26
10-14 amping up to 100% blues 10% whites, 14-18 strong light max blues 10% whites 18 to 21:30 going down full blues.
Light sits 24 inches from the water lvl, Millie frag is 12 inches below the surface (highest frag)

Parameters:

Kh 8.5
Ca 450
Mg 1425
No3 5-10
Po4 0.08 (Hanna)
Salinity 1.026 aquaforest salt

Dosing ati essentials pro 50% diluted 12ml each

Video at night https://youtube.com/shorts/8btOwi3-4wA?feature=share

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys

I have an issue i can't understand, my tank has been stable as stable as i can get it for at least 6-7 months. I cant understand why polyps of my harder sps are retracted.

My Millepora, spathulata and another sps show very little polyp extension if any at all. All had great extension the first 2- 3 months. Spathulata was the last that came in 3 months ago and last week the polyps show the same issue as in the Millie and other sps.

Growth is kind of good, Millie just ecrusts and gets a bit thicker so i changed the flow more indirect probably 2-3 months back. Spathulata is also encrusting slowly, other sps is growing a bit more and has a few stuck together branches (hence i thought it was rough flow)

Color is very good. Polyps are retracted day and night, i can't see anything bothering them.

The (easy) sps as Milka pocillopora Montis forestfire, bubblegum, purple one all have good growth and great extension.
LPs thrive and so does the zoa's

Fish: blue line wrasse, a juvenile hepatus tang, 1 anthias, spotted blenny

Tank: red Sea 170e
Flow: one tunze old narrow flow aimed at the surface, 2 jebao slw 20 aimed at each other with random flow. Strength on pumps is 8 of 10.

Lightning: hydra 26
10-14 amping up to 100% blues 10% whites, 14-18 strong light max blues 10% whites 18 to 21:30 going down full blues.
Light sits 24 inches from the water lvl, Millie frag is 12 inches below the surface (highest frag)

Parameters:

Kh 8.5
Ca 450
Mg 1425
No3 5-10
Po4 0.08 (Hanna)
Salinity 1.026 aquaforest salt

Dosing ati essentials pro 50% diluted 12ml each

Video at night https://youtube.com/shorts/8btOwi3-4wA?feature=share
Often it takes that one little boose of flow to perk them up. One pump across the back wall and downwards off the back wall does wonders

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know this already but your numbers are fine. How old is the rock? Is anything dying?

I have a lot of acro that don't throw much PE but grow like mad. Milli without PE is a tad unusual -- unless you keep dwarf angels.

24513.jpg

OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often it takes that one little boose of flow to perk them up. One pump across the back wall and downwards off the back wall does wonders
I've tried the to change the flow in different directions, still can figure out how mutch flow.

The thing i know is above 50 % of my tank the flow is turbulent and randomized as can be and if it get any stronger my eyphyllias wont enjoy it

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know this already but your numbers are fine. How old is the rock? Is anything dying?

I have a lot of acro that don't throw much PE but grow like mad. Milli without PE is a tad unusual -- unless you keep dwarf angels.

24513.jpg
tank is just over a year and 2 months, I lost a acan that was in the sand around 3 months ago with 8 heads, it kind of stn. Tank started with dry marco rock but below in the sump i got 3-4 kgs of live rocks and about 5kgs of siporax. i rarely have unstable fosfates or nitrates could it be that exactly theese corals have a problem of their own? like biological this is the way they are?

they come from the same shop, thing is i want to make a new sps order from germany but im afraid this is gonna happen with them aswell

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by lowering the lights.
I run 16hds over my 45 and they are 10" off the surface and the tanks 12" deep.
I run first 4 100% last at 50%.
1hr ramp up/down 10hrs at peak.
20220822_190034.jpg
Do you mean lovering the light further down or lovering the intensity? I was thinking about the light since all of the problematic sps are right below the light. other montis and milka and such are not

Do you have your lghts on 100% for 10hrs a day?

Edit: Im sorry i got the inches wrong where the light sits above the water lvl it is 13 inches above the water line

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are 2 videos i managed to make one with filter and one with a zoom lense, ( I know it is hard to see) Are theese red bugs? Do copepods walk on millepora corals?

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are 2 videos i managed to make one with filter and one with a zoom lense, ( I know it is hard to see) Are theese red bugs? Do copepods walk on millepora corals?

I was about to ask if you looked into red bugs/black bugs. I couldn't see the videos, but if something is crawling on the acro and is yellow or black, I'd dip it and see how it looks 24 hours later.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back