Sps sticks dying suddenly. Help :(

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have been away from home for work and I left my family do the basic maintanance for this time. Right before I arrived this morning the ato failed (again, 2nd time in a month) and dropped salinity from 35 to 33ppt, not too much fortunately.
When I arrived home I noticed that the only 2 sps frags I have are severely damaged, but my wife cannot tell whether it was like that few days ago or just today.
I just measured kh and it bounced from 7.5 to 6, and cal from 480 to 390 probably because of dilution.
Is there any chance for those to recover?
What should I do, aside from increasing slowly salinity and kh back to normal?

16536700718288887986361003867814.jpg

1653670101022997539530178510172.jpg

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the drop is mainly due to dilution, if salinity goes back to track it should be a bit better. It was ok until last week.
Should I slowly increase params or actively dose alk?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the most damaged one (stylo) where flow is much stronger for now. I hope at least the tips will recover

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 1st one is probably a goner but you never know. I would do the opposite and place it in a low flow zone, as its so bad that strong flow is potentially going to blow away the remaining live tissue. If it were me I would frag off all the living sections and glue them to a plug.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to touble check salinity because it seemed a bit weird such a reaction for few ppt. The refractometer was 3ppt off so actually now salinity is at 29-30ppt. Damm. This is the second time this month, first time the sensor disxonnected from the controller, now the float switch was stuck due to algae. Very sad for the sylo, was quite beautiful! How does people with sps tanks avoid to loose everything due to a faulty sensor or other stuff like this?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to touble check salinity because it seemed a bit weird such a reaction for few ppt. The refractometer was 3ppt off so actually now salinity is at 29-30ppt. Damm. This is the second time this month, first time the sensor disxonnected from the controller, now the float switch was stuck due to algae. Very sad for the sylo, was quite beautiful! How does people with sps tanks avoid to loose everything due to a faulty sensor or other stuff like this?
Sps are not forgiving , maybe try montipora or sps digita even I could grow them with alk swings , no ATO , ect.. I dosed alk to over 20 dkh and they were fine lol

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does people with sps tanks avoid to loose everything due to a faulty sensor or other stuff like this?
Systems eventually settle and find a balance. Birdsnest and stylos can be quick to rtn with any sudden changes in chemistry.

Quality trusted equipment goes a long way.

Also limit my topoff supply just incase the pump kept running.

Daily checks and weekly waterchanges.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok since they both got worse since yesterday I fragged them trying to keep only good bits and glued them to different spots in the tank, so at least few frags will have the right combination of flow and light

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back