Sps vs. Angelfish

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having angels with SPS can work, but you have to tolerate damaged corals. This is an example of what mine often look like. Notice the missing tips:

P1460210.jpg

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we should all go with the assumption that any and all angels WILL eat your corals, kills some, and mutilate others... once we decide that is worth it to us...then we should be pleasantly surprised to find they arent so bad. Kind of a hope for the best expect the worst mentality, especially when we know what can happen worst case. I wish you all the luck though.

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I'm building a tank now for angels and sps. I would love to keep lps and clams but I have heard it much more risky, especially with the angels I want to keep. I'll be attempting to keep a Yellow Belly Regal Angelfish, Coral Beauty, and a Watanbei pair. I may also try a Goldflake and a Flame. I'd love a Coco Keys Lemonpeel, but I have heard that lemonpeels are more prone to misbehaving. If I had the space I'd try an Emperor as they are my favorite.

Anyone have experience keeping the Clarion?

Mine is safe with everything except most lps.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not that bad

Yeah, it's not bad on a full colony, but when you come home to a new frag that has been nipped in half, it's a lot worse. My tank is mature enough that the damage is pretty dispersed, but with just drags and small colonies, it really has an impact.

redtigrinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good
Yeah, it's not bad on a full colony, but when you come home to a new frag that has been nipped in half, it's a lot worse. My tank is mature enough that the damage is pretty dispersed, but with just drags and small colonies, it really has an impact.

Good point.

Any one have experience with Genicanthus sp? These are supposed to be as reef safe as they come.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are pretty much your best bet.

I think we may have to get our emperator a new home soon :( It's maybe 7" and our favorite fish. But it grew way to fast in our system and we are starting to realize an upgrade is to far down the line :( The fish is only about 3 or 4 years at the most. Just starting to get its streamer too

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Genicanthus in my SPS reef currently. Tank was just setup so mostly frags at the moment. Genicanthus is a perfect reef citizen. Their natural diet in the wild is plankton. So coral should be of no interest. Mines definitely the bully of the tank though.

I've also got a Multibar and Potters that are model citizens. They may nip without my knowing, but I've got great PE. So if they are it isn't noticeable.

I also had a Dwarf Golden angel that unfortunately went on a hunger strike during the tank move. He was a model citizen as well in my previous frag tank.

03c221ea37859519bf5ed9c41a7850f9.jpg

9e9ae09af5478819633818aa0b5b190a.jpg

cfc525ff1e24317c2f1fbc5483f7f188.jpg

f1cb51602599ec4bde36821e4a687121.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back