Spsaddict's dream come true!

reefmutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
Your system is fantastic! Coral colors are simply amazing.
A local (Canadian) friend suggested I check out your thread and I'm glad I did!
I love seeing no nonsense systems like this that just stick to the basics and flourish... Very inspirational..
The only disappointing thing about this thread is that there aren't more crazy nice photos. :)
No pressure...
Quick question.. Do you have any particulate filtration like sponges or filter socks?

Deadcalm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are about 12-14 inches above each tank. I don't raise or lower the distance much. I guess I do somewhat have it set and forget. When I change bulbs I only change 1 every week to avoid shock. Hope that helps. Thanks for the kind words.

Could you explain why you keep them at that height? That seems very high...but what do I know :)

I've always used Halides and switched to t5's. There is a huge range of heights that everyone keeps them at. It's somewhere between 3" and 14" with the average being 8".

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you explain why you keep them at that height? That seems very high...but what do I know :)

I've always used Halides and switched to t5's. There is a huge range of heights that everyone keeps them at. It's somewhere between 3" and 14" with the average being 8".

Hello and sorry for the delay. I think your question completely depends apon coral
Placement, rockscape, and size and growth of corals. I recently lowered my light to around 8" on the main display because corals are getting so large that they are shading others below them. Time will tell if this makes a real impact. I think we put too much emphasis on light. When you think about corals in there natural in environment most are not getting blasted with intense light for an extended amount of time. I do think light and its intensity is important but I think water quality, nutrition, and balance of nutrient is equally if not more important then light. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
Your system is fantastic! Coral colors are simply amazing.
A local (Canadian) friend suggested I check out your thread and I'm glad I did!
I love seeing no nonsense systems like this that just stick to the basics and flourish... Very inspirational..
The only disappointing thing about this thread is that there aren't more crazy nice photos. :)
No pressure...
Quick question.. Do you have any particulate filtration like sponges or filter socks?

I know and I'm sorry about the pics. I'm always just crazy busy! I promise I'll get some new pics up soon. I do use 200 micron filter socks that I change weekly. No sponges. Thank you for the kind words!

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I've been running the exact same bulb combo and light schedule for close to 5-6 months now because of this thread:) My tank is doing great (never better in fact), but there's still colors I'd like to improve. Specifically reds. My reds are pale. I have a red shortcake from WWC that just will not color up. I'm switching out the purple plus for a red sea blue/white bulb to see if this has any effect. If this has no effect, then I'm going to assume its something in my parameters or possibly a placement issue?

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I've been running the exact same bulb combo and light schedule for close to 5-6 months now because of this thread:) My tank is doing great (never better in fact), but there's still colors I'd like to improve. Specifically reds. My reds are pale. I have a red shortcake from WWC that just will not color up. I'm switching out the purple plus for a red sea blue/white bulb to see if this has any effect. If this has no effect, then I'm going to assume its something in my parameters or possibly a placement issue?

Hey man. Funny thing is one of the colors I have the best success with is reds. I would try the Red Sea bulb and see what it does. I used their 22k bulb and liked it but it basically looked like a blue+ with a slighter whiter tint. I am thinking about actually going 5 blue+,1 purple,1 coral,1 actinic. It could be perams or placement though for you. Also, possibly flow. Shortcakes like a lot!

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since I last updated. I'm just so dang busy all the time! I guess that's a good thing though. I decided to break out the cam and shoot a few led shots. The corals are looking good lately. Been through a few ups and downs the last few months. Had a few pieces start to stn for no apparent reason but after fragging they have all recovered nicely.

elagui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since I last updated. I'm just so **** busy all the time! I guess that's a good thing though. I decided to break out the cam and shoot a few led shots. The corals are looking good lately. Been through a few ups and downs the last few months. Had a few pieces start to stn for no apparent reason but after fragging they have all recovered nicely.

whats the name of that small frag on the 3rd pic. Gorgeous pieces btw.

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@spsaddict my wife just gave me the greenlight to upgrade my tank from a 50gal to 120gal im located in southern california do you have any recommendations on where to buy a tank?

As far as what manufacturer to go through I would recommend crystal dynamic. They are the new lee mar. If I was to buy a new tank that's who I'd go through.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back