OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS looks great! How are you liking bare bottom?
I like it a lot! Due to the holidays and being a mailman I haven't had much time to do the things I want to do. Will be loading up on some astreas here soon. Love the amount of flow I can have now and so do the corals!

Last edited:
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update on the reef. As of......a few months ago I've stopped dosing everything. Aminos, vinager and potassium. Everything else has stayed the same.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This favia is one of my favorites because of its brightness. Super green with yellow polyps. Yellow really comes out under the ReefBrites after the halides have cut off.

IMG_2584_zpsy1jzdvfd.jpg

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you stop dosing: Aminos, vinager and potassium ?
It took for ever for me to except the idea that everything that the corals need is available by feeding and routine water changes. For ever I thought that more was better and that dosing aminos was essential to strong coral color. Understood that aminos play a very important roll in coral health but if your feeding enough meaty foods then an amino supplement is kind of redundant. I feed the right foods for corals to get what they need so buying and adding an amino supplement was unnecessary. Potassium was a phase I guess. Im happy with my coral colors and corals are very healthy. I use to dose vodka and found vinegar was cheeper and just as good but did notice that corals were coloring down a bit. So I slowly took it off line. Im very content with the reef now and will say it's a lot cheaper keeping it simple.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the reef a combination of foods squid, mysis, cyclopeeze and rotifers to name a few.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice bro!

dmantz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andy - Your tank is amazing!! The red Goni is awesome. I have a frag but with blue in the center.
Dave

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the reef a combination of foods squid, mysis, cyclopeeze and rotifers to name a few.
Tank looks great. Do you target feed any of your corals or just broadcast a blend, I imagine you target feed your chalices atleast? What does your nitrate and phosphates generally measure at?

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Do you target feed any of your corals or just broadcast a blend, I imagine you target feed your chalices atleast? What does your nitrate and phosphates generally measure at?
Thank you! In all honesty I have no idea what my nitrates or phosphates are. Those are number I only chase during a cycle or a newer reef system after that the numbers I only care about checking on are calcium, magnesium and my dKH value. After a while you get to know visibility what a healthy reef tank should look like how a healthy coral should behave and look and key in on certain red flags that might stand out to you so you can tweak things here or there.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back