Stacking Aquariums, Questions on Bubbles

CoralStop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I currently have 3 stacked systems (two stacked aquariums above a sump) that are doing great, but all have a common problem, bubbles. The bubbles come from the top tank draining to the lower tank. I am moving to a new home and plan on running the same type of setup, however this time I’d like to see if there are some plumbing tricks or products I can use to avoid micro bubbles.

What I’ve learned so far:

Use 45s instead of 90s for PVC to Prevent Air Bubbles

Drain Into A Filter Sock

What I’d like to know:

How deep in the water should I plumb the drain from the higher tank to the lower tank?

It’d be ideal to not have a sock in the lower tank because that is unsightly and in the way, are there any alternatives like a bubble trap or something?

Any other tips would be appreciated

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have control valves on the drains? Just like a silent overflow the water needs to be restricted to become a full siphon so all the air can be purged. Without a valve, air is always drawn into the draining water making noise and bubbles. This is risky without an emergency drain. You should have an emergency drain even with your current arrangement IMO.

Put the drain pipe only an inch into the receiving water to prevent potential air lock and subsequent overflow.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shop with a lot of tanks in 2 and 3 levels.
All tanks have owerflows that leads to the main sump with return to all tanks from 1 pump.
In that way it is only the sump that has to be bubble secured to keep all the tanks free from air bubbles.
Bubble traps work good but still better is filter socks. Put the filter socks after the skimmer.
If the tubes from the tanks are at a small angel You will get lesser bubbles in the sump and less noice as the water down will follow one side inside the tube.

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing it out there… what if you were to add a sponge to the pipe?

- Just my uneducated two cents for an idea.

OP
OP
CoralStop

CoralStop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have control valves on the drains? Just like a silent overflow the water needs to be restricted to become a full siphon so all the air can be purged. Without a valve, air is always drawn into the draining water making noise and bubbles. This is risky without an emergency drain. You should have an emergency drain even with your current arrangement IMO.

Put the drain pipe only an inch into the receiving water to prevent potential air lock and subsequent overflow.
Thank you I do currently have valves, in my new project I will definitely add emergency drains

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back