Stand Build for 300 Gallon

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I'm planning my stand build for my new custom tank it will be 96*24*30 all glass 300 gallon aquarium.

I'm planning to build a basic stand in the design that most of us know with one center brace in the middle.

Question is is 2*6 lumber enough to hold the weight? Or should i consider going 2*8?

Picture is just for reference as stated i will add center braces in the middle since it will be an 8 feet stand.

stand.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest 2 X 8 for the top and the rest 2 X 6. I would also suggest the 2 X 4's in the corners got from even at the top to the floor for extra support and stability I the corners

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you build, you might call a local steel fab shop, and price a steel stand. I was all ready to build a wood stand for my 140, and was able to actually save myself a few bucks by having a steel stand welded together to my specs... even got it powder coated, total price was under $600.

If you're just doing a dimensional lumber stand, that's going to be the cheapest, but if you're planning on building a nice looking wood cabinet around those studs, well, steel might just end up less expensive.

OP
OP
M

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info so far. So yeah I'm def. Going with wood the studs etc will run me about 130 dollars and my wife wants a rustic style to match furniture so the outer shell will probably run me around 300 dollars in wood so not bad.

@JaimeAdams okay i looked at the link and I'm even more confused now haha. Lot's of numbers, if imI seeing it correctly 2-2*6 will have a load capacity of 4091lb. Since i have 6 legs holding it up 6*4091=24546lb of load capacity? Or can't i calculate like that?

Sorry for the ignorance...

Crystal Reef Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greybeard , Agreed! You may find that a steel stand is comparable in cost and will give you considerably better access. @mickske If you are in the market for a sump or any other equipment for this build, let us know! We offer competitive package deals!

OP
OP
M

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Crystal Reef Aquatics so far i got all my equipment ready to go already including sump etc. Just waiting on the tank itself that is being build right now.

I'll see if i reach out to steel fab shop, not sure yet, might also need to convince the misses ;)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see if i reach out to steel fab shop, not sure yet, might also need to convince the misses ;)

A steel stand won't keep you from doing a rustic surround... but the surround won't need to be structural. Just a good looking box that can be completely removed, giving you virtually unlimited access under your tank. My system has a remote sump, there's no equipment under the tank. It allowed a rather unusual finish, that I'm very happy with.

It's not for everyone, but I'm unlikely to ever build another wood stand for anything that might be considered a large tank. Say, 100g and up. With powder coated steel, you _know_ it's going to be stable, and likely outlast the useful lifespan of the glass box that's going on it :)

OP
OP
M

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you guys convinced me... Just ordered a metal frame for my new tank, was def. Not as cheap as yours but i guess it'll be worth it.

Will come powder coated and they will install, shim and level everything together with the tank. Got the same builder to do the frame so if anything is wrong at least it's their fault

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anyone that has purchased a powder coated steel stand and ended up regretting it.

Did you buy from a tank manufacturer? I can't imagine a small fab shop wanting to install and level your tank for you. For that kind of service, I'd expect it was quite a bit higher than I paid. The folks I had build my stand were _not_ tank people... most of the work they do is industrial. I'm pretty sure mine was the first tank stand they'd ever built. My tank came from Planet Aquarium. I priced a steel stand from them... Eek. No, thanks.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Here's a view of mine, once completed. As I said, it's a bit unusual, for a stand, but it works for me :)
FTS_040118.jpg

OP
OP
M

mickske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank sir! I like the non standard stuff... We all have seen the stabdard things, i like the ones that stand out!

Yes I'm getting the stand build by the same manufacturer as my tank and it was indeed a little over double of your price... :| At least i know it's done right then etc.

At least my $15k+ investment overall will be safe i gues haha. Thanks for the advice.

Whenever the tank and stand are ready I'm going to start a build thread I'll shoot a link onto this thread :)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back