Stand build question

b2smoov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I pulled the trigger on a 5x2x2 150 gallon aquarium. I plan to build the stand using the standard 2x4 construction methods most use. My question is can I span the width of 5' without the middle support? I know I've seen it on 120 gallon stands but can't remember if I've seen it done on 150 gallon builds.

Thanks.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. After further digging around it seems this should do the trick. Appreciate y'all's input.
So did you go 2x4 or 2x6 ? Please tel me you didn’t cheap out on the extra 10$ to do it right…

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I pulled the trigger on a 5x2x2 150 gallon aquarium. I plan to build the stand using the standard 2x4 construction methods most use. My question is can I span the width of 5' without the middle support? I know I've seen it on 120 gallon stands but can't remember if I've seen it done on 150 gallon builds.

Thanks.
So did you go 2x4 or 2x6 ? Please tel me you didn’t cheap out on the extra 10$ to do it right…
most people overbuild their stands in reality a 2x4 would be plenty to hold the weight of the tank. however there is no harm using a 2x6 if you want piece of mind for years and years to come.

my stand is built out of 3/4 plywood and it's fine.

red sea builds tanks out of 3/4 as well. so going to a studded stand is just for piece of mind and really large tanks such as a 150.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people overbuild their stands in reality a 2x4 would be plenty to hold the weight of the tank. however there is no harm using a 2x6 if you want piece of mind for years and years to come.

my stand is built out of 3/4 plywood and it's fine.

red sea builds tanks out of 3/4 as well. so going to a studded stand is just for piece of mind and really large tanks such as a 150.
When you build something to hold that type of weight isn’t peace of mind what you want. Or you like to worrie anytime someone gets close to the tank? Have you ever been reaching into a large tank and then realize your leaning on the tank little to much?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if seriously anyone when 2x4 instead of 2x6 due to cost they dont belong in this hobby…..

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree most overbuild, and 3/4" ply is ideal for reasonably sized tanks (not sure Red Sea is the best example at the moment though :p).

Concerning a 2x6, the "2" is definitely overkill, but I would use the "6" with plywood too due to the ~50" unsupported span.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back