Stand interior paint choices, what's your preference?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently building a 72x24x36 peninsula cabinet/stand and getting close to interior finish work. In the past I have stuck with 2-part Epoxy paint like is used for refinishing bathtubs, but it's winter and that paint has much too high VOC to even attempt using in the most out-of-the-way heated space available, my downstairs garage. That moves me to pick a different finish material.

I've been looking at Seal Krete Epoxy-Seal Garage Floor 1-part Acrylic Epoxy and Rust-Oleum Marine coatings Battleship Gray Gloss Enamel.

Thoughts, suggestions???
I can handle moderate odor by forcing conditioned air out a partial opening of the garage door, but I need to avoid the full-blown 3-day choking stench of typical epoxy in a closed-up house.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used kilz primer. Then three coats of Rustoleum Topside. My stand is completely waterproof and will hold water if it’s spilled inside the stand.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seal Krete is just as bad as marine grade 2-part epoxy but dries slower if not used on concrete..

OP
OP
DaddyFish

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seal Krete is just as bad as marine grade 2-part epoxy but dries slower if not used on concrete..
I did notice it specifically mentions use on "horizontal surfaces", and I was concerned it may be slow to cure in favor of a smoother flow and longer working times. Also means it probably runs like water!

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like Top Coat is the leader.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your typical curing times between coats and then after final before handling?
I think I painted something like this:
1st day = two coats kilz, one coat topside
2nd day= two coats topside

I had a large fan blowing on the stand during drying. I think I left it in the garage at least a week, with the garage door cracked and a large fan in the garage due to the strong odor from the topside.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to keep Topside in mind for future. I just used Kilz and then pretty basic latex paint. But the floor of my stand is white Formica. I caulked around the bottom edges and up the corners a bit to make it water tight. So far the latex paint has been fine.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an Oil Base Topside Paint from a Boat Store. Brushed on Three Coats. Per label, it could be applied down to 35F. Humidity was a problem though, as it had to be below 75% with Humidity not reaching dew point during a 24hr. drying time. I painted in the early morning, after four hours I had an electric heater blow into the cabinet. Repainted in 24 hours. You have to check on the recoat times, I have a Rustoleum Paint, and there is a recoat window, after that you have to wait severely days.

puckbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming the topside is oil-base and thus cures fairly quickly? My problem is I am strapped for time so I need to get the sump and tank on this stand ASAP. I have had a frustrating time going to paint stores and having to explain the difference between dry and cure time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back