Stand riser help

hardmermaid

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2025
Messages
21
Reaction score
16
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I had a friend build a 5" riser for my 130gal aquarium that I'm in the process of setting up. Unfortunately the dimensions are a little off and I'm nervous. I told them the dimensions of the stand is 60x22 so that's what they built. However, the "legs" of the stand actually sit at 60x20.5. When the stand sits on the current riser, it sits on the very inside of it with a tiny amount of overhang depending on how it's center.

Can someone please help me help with the follow:
1. Does the current riser look like it can support 1500pounds or so?
2. If I buy the same wood (redwood grade b) and screw it to the inside of the riser along the sides (red highlights), will that be safe/supportive assuming its leveled and aligned properly? One end would be sitting on two different pieces of wood

Thank you for the help. I am not very handy and I'm debating or not to just forget the riser idea just to be safe.

IMG_5704.jpeg IMG_5710.jpeg IMG_5709.jpeg IMG_5708.jpeg
 
I had a friend build a 5" riser
Can you request that one long side be disassembled so another 1-2” can be cut off the short lumber, making it exactly the right dimensions?
 
Can you request that one long side be disassembled so another 1-2” can be cut off the short lumber, making it exactly the right dimensions?
I can ask. I was hoping not to bother him since they just had a baby and are busy but it doesn't sound too unreasonable.I'm not sure if any glue was used or anything either. Does the build look like it can support a lot of weight?
 
I can ask. I was hoping not to bother him since they just had a baby and are busy but it doesn't sound too unreasonable.I'm not sure if any glue was used or anything either. Does the build look like it can support a lot of weight?
It does! Redwood isn’t a very dense wood… but in this application, the rot resistance is more important than maximum structural strength!

— consider painting it thoroughly if you want it to outlast the tank!
 
It does! Redwood isn’t a very dense wood… but in this application, the rot resistance is more important than maximum structural strength!

— consider painting it thoroughly if you want it to outlast the tank!
Thank you for your input and help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new