Stand Space and Sump Size . . .

EAsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In researching the best size sump to place in my stand, the common response is the biggest you can fit in the stand relative to equipment and other needs. I have a new tank and stand being built. 150g, coast-to coast, bean animal, 60x24x24 with a 60x24x36 wooden stand with 18x22 end doors to add or remove sump.

I need a sump to place inside stand and stuck between these options:
1. 36x18x17 sump to house a Lifereef Skimmer VS3-24, and red dragon 3 return pump not leaving much room inside sump, but nearly 24" remaining space in stand for media reactors and Apex Doser/containers.​

2. 48x18x17 sump with the same setup above and room for fuge or media reactors inside sump with nearly 12" outside of sump - just enough space for Apex DOS/containers inside stand.​

I will use filter socks and plan to place ATO reservoir (20g) behind stand and perhaps calcium reactor in the future. Not considering Triton Method at this time.

I am open to any suggestions or recommendations

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2 definitely. The extra room and water volume in your sump makes life easier.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personal preference. the extra water volume is nil, while the space in the sump could be a determining factor. all personal preference.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2 and then drill spice racks on your stand doors above the sump. I have room for another 8” or so of sump and regret not doing it. A much bigger fuge would have been greatly appreciated and the extra space just becomes a garbage pile.

OP
OP
EAsalty

EAsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2 and then drill spice racks on your stand doors above the sump. I have room for another 8” or so of sump and regret not doing it. A much bigger fuge would have been greatly appreciated and the extra space just becomes a garbage pile.
@tdileo I love the spice rack idea and I can also relate to extra space . . . this is where I toss everything when my wife complains!!

OP
OP
EAsalty

EAsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a drawing of what I would like in a DIY glass sump. I have never made a blueprint, but this what I designed after reviewing hundreds of DIY and custom sump online. I want the right to left flow to access Bean Animal gate valve on right side behind the tank. However, considering this is glass without a front or back, this design could work from left or right.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?
upload_2018-10-20_11-15-47.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back