Standpipe height??

Rafaelpadro24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, on my current build getting close to finish the plumbing, but ran into a question I need some help with. This 180 gallon reef ready tank has two 1 1/2 " bulkhead and pipe for drainage to the sump and 2 1" bulkhead and pipe for water return to the tanks and I need to know how tall the drain pipe (standpipe) should be in for this 1 1/2inch drain pipe.

1656862118037.png
20220703_113517.jpg 20220703_113455.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to answer because there are different drainage systems.
Durso sounds like the right one here since a Herbie would use both holes in each box for drains.
I would do a search here on Durso drains for more information since I have never used one.
I do know they prefer slow flow so with a 1.5" drain???
My 250 ran just fine on 1" plumbing.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, for more redundancy, I would use both bulkheads in each overflow for drains (one emergency, and one drain with a gate valve for tuning a full siphon, then route the returns up and over the tank back. If you are putting this up against the wall you won't see the pipe once the back of the tank is covered with coralline. Of course if you are not putting it against a wall or want to always keep the back of the tank spotless, this might not be for you. However, the added work of plumbing up and over the tank back, and using both bulkheads in each overflow for drains increases redundancy and your safety factor by 100%. If you end up tuning only one drain in each overflow to match your return (gate valve, etc.) then if one gets clogged, the other you've tuned might not be able to handle the extra flow and you'll get a wet floor. OR, a compromise would be only use one of the returns of the two, put gate valves on two of the drains for silent full siphons, and keep one standpipe as an emergency...

OP
OP
R

Rafaelpadro24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to answer because there are different drainage systems.
Durso sounds like the right one here since a Herbie would use both holes in each box for drains.
I would do a search here on Durso drains for more information since I have never used one.
I do know they prefer slow flow so with a 1.5" drain???
My 250 ran just fine on 1" plumbing.
Thanks for the suggestion, yes the tank came with these bulkheads and the bottom of the glass is drilled to accommodate this large1.5 inch drain bulkheads. The 1 inch bulkhead cut out is definitely smaller. I'm afraid if I try to place a 1 inch in the place of a 1.5 i might some leaks.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion, yes the tank came with these bulkheads and the bottom of the glass is drilled to accommodate this large1.5 inch drain bulkheads. The 1 inch bulkhead cut out is definitely smaller. I'm afraid if I try to place a 1 inch in the place of a 1.5 i might some leaks.

Use the bulkhead that fits the whole. if you want smaller pipe use a reducing bushing.

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading somewhere that you want about an 1" drop. More than that and you can get water noise and less it can not surface skim correctly.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you
I would add a ball valve to each drain underneath. That way you can turn off each drain and remove the standpipe to change it or work on it like adjust it's height.
I would copy a Marineland Megaflow design. I have a 180 and the drains work very well. It has 2 1.5 inch drains.
None of the pics I find look like what came with my tank.
i-9bCk2B9-L.jpg

Regular and street 90
small tube in top and large hole in sides
no strainer

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back