Standpipe to use in a tight space

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up the plumbing for my new tank and I ran into a small problem. My overflow box is about 5" tall and after I install the bulkhead and a 90* elbow I only have about an inch above that to install a standpipe with the opening below the level of the teeth.. any good low profile and quiet designs?

OP
OP
SmokeyGnar

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
57651d6be1d35237e58bc8decc618ba3.jpg

Here's a pic of what I have to work with

benpoole28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think your only option would be changing to a syphon overflow where you don't need a stand pipe. You have two holes drilled?

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add parts to your current ell to make a durso standpipe.

You could drill a second hole and add a second bulkhead. Then plumb a two-drain herbie.

Or you could remove your existing ell and use the current bulkhead as a pass through to an external overflow box. Then put a beananimal three-drain in the external overflow box. Similar to a ghost/shadow overflow.

OP
OP
SmokeyGnar

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think your only option would be changing to a syphon overflow where you don't need a stand pipe. You have two holes drilled?

I only drilled one hole out of fear that the two holes would be too close together and compromise the strength of the panel

OP
OP
SmokeyGnar

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add parts to your current ell to make a durso standpipe.

You could drill a second hole and add a second bulkhead. Then plumb a two-drain herbie.

Or you could remove your existing ell and use the current bulkhead as a pass through to an external overflow box. Then put a beananimal three-drain in the external overflow box. Similar to a ghost/shadow overflow.

Any sources on where to get a good external overflow?

OP
OP
SmokeyGnar

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if I drill a hole for a 3/4"bulkhead that might not put too much stress on the glass and allow me to run the herbie method? I would still be nervous about drilling another hole in the box.. what's the minimum distance recommended between holes?

OP
OP
SmokeyGnar

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what's the max size hole that a 3/4 inch bulkhead can be used in? I'm trying to rethink my design to work with what I have

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the teeth are above the hole put a bulkhead through to the other side and then a standpipe external to the tank

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sources on where to get a good external overflow?
The most popular is the Synergy Ghost or Shadow. There are plenty of knockoffs on Ebay. One of the guys in our club was happy with an overflow from Modular Marine, but I never saw it myself.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try sawing off your existing street elbow and use another sawed off street elbow so the bottom of the horizontal is at the water level you want. then use tee capped at the top with an air hole or another street elbow pointing down for form the same function.

OP
OP
SmokeyGnar

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might try cutting a hole in the bottom of the overflow and another hole in the back of the tank glass just below the overflow. This would allow me to have two drains and safely have a gate valve. I'll have to sleep on it for tonight and weigh my options

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back