Stands

baseballfanatic2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the red sea stand or anyone's stand really. I don't think those stands can last 15+ years with time, humidity, and salteater splashes over time .. and I want to have someone make me a stand. The question is...

Should it be wood?
Should it be 80/20 material
Should it be aluminum
Should it be steel

Who knows? Any recommendations on people who will make a stand? Preferably in florida

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The material used maybe a case of what the builder can use. I built my own and used wood. Have you checked at any of the LFS's in your area as to who they would use for a custom stand.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the above can be built to survive 15+ years. Durability isn't the question.

Do you want something that looks like a wooden cabinet? Might be a good idea to go with wood.

I've never owned a stand made from 80/20 or Aluminum, but I'd assume they have their niche...

Steel... that's what my stand is, 1.5" square tube steel, welded and powder coated. Strong? Incredibly so. Last for 15+ years? No problem. One of the most noticeable benefits is it's thin profile in relation to wood for the same (or greater) strength. Leaves much more open space. Lets you design a stand that is much less 'standard' in it's overall looks.

Note: The wood parts are non structural... the shelving units can be completely removed without disturbing the tank.

FullTank100620.jpg

OP
OP
baseballfanatic2

baseballfanatic2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the above can be built to survive 15+ years. Durability isn't the question.

Do you want something that looks like a wooden cabinet? Might be a good idea to go with wood.

I've never owned a stand made from 80/20 or Aluminum, but I'd assume they have their niche...

Steel... that's what my stand is, 1.5" square tube steel, welded and powder coated. Strong? Incredibly so. Last for 15+ years? No problem. One of the most noticeable benefits is it's thin profile in relation to wood for the same (or greater) strength. Leaves much more open space. Lets you design a stand that is much less 'standard' in it's overall looks.

Note: The wood parts are non structural... the shelving units can be completely removed without disturbing the tank.

FullTank100620.jpg
heck of a tank. Who built you your stand and what tank is that?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I designed the stand, had it welded up by a local fab shop, and then taken to a local powder coating company. Honestly, it wasn't any more than I was going to spend on plywood to make a nice cabinet style stand. The woodworking is mine, the coral scenes painted on the surround are by my daughter, and I poured a quarter inch of bartop poly over it to protect it.

Tank is 60" x 30" x 18", by Planet Aquariums.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back