Starfish supplement feeding

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a sand sifting starfish. The lady at the LFS told me that they feed on detritus and other things in the tank. I kinda knew from reading before I got one for my tank that they don’t eat to much detritus and more the stuff inside the sand. Here is where my question is. I have a 13.5 gallon tank with about 4-6 inches of sand depth. I have copepods and other stuff running around my tank. Has anyone had any success target feeding a sand sifting starfish anything to make sure it gets enough food. I know a lot of these stars don’t last long in tanks in general but wanted to see if their is anything I can try to make sure it is still eating. Pictures below are of my starfish.

58952370-29BF-4B02-8406-298600469CE8.jpeg 036A3D70-24D4-41FD-AB36-BE59A06DA842.jpeg DE45B706-6EC7-49B2-8A9E-084A886D3FF4.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our reef meeting last week, we had melev's reef do a presentation. He mentioned the sand shifting stars need a 24" x 24" sand area. And not covered by rocks, just open sand, to do well. You will definatly have to feed him. Not sure what they actually eat in the sand. I'm sure you will get some more insight here. Good luck!

JohnTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, starfish are scavengers/clean up. I recommend trying to feed it a few different foods to see what it will eat. Nori, pellets, small chunks of different raw shrimp/fish/inverts that are normally used to feed our tanks is a good place to start.

Check out this video:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, starfish are scavengers/clean up. I recommend trying to feed it a few different foods to see what it will eat. Nori, pellets, small chunks of different raw shrimp/fish/inverts that are normally used to feed our tanks is a good place to start.

Check out this video:

Very cool video. What did they feed it in it?

Shadowbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had starfish successfully in a 13.5 gallon, and I probably have the exact tank you are talking about so I had to target feed. I leave very small pieces of white shrimp or fragments of freeze dried krill that are dosed with amino acids meant for corals slightly buried in the sand directly in theirs paths so that they can intercept it. Target feeding them by pushing it into them or placing them on top of it can often scare them away. I have found that starfish have a big appetite for a piece of food that has a drop of something with an amino acid base in it, practically running towards it. It kind of makes sense, because corals like amino acids to develop their calcareous skeletal structure, and starfish also have a calcareous skeleton. If your tank has any amount of film algae on the sand they will eat this as well. Most of these kinds of starfish in my experience are omnivores, and cannot survive with only algae or only meaty foods alone. If your tank has no source of algaes, you can break up small pieces of algae pellets or hikari herbivore and leave them in the sand bed for it to find. Keep in mind, small and few pieces because you don't want any big nutrients spikes.

Also, my tank originally had two starfish, and one died to sensitivity of a product called reef buffer. Just sharing because I believe starfish don't like this product in small tanks!

This is my starfish in a 13.5 gal reef tank and he has successfully been living here for quite a while. As you can see, he loves to eat my beautiful plants. I have had great success in target feeding him and he has never shown any interest in my anemones or corals as a source of food. I should however probably start feeding him algae pellets again, as my caulerpa isn't meant for chomping!

69E5AF06-7E01-4C45-8E0D-0DB80A13C891.jpeg

After detaching the leaf that has already been damaged by his digestive enzymes so he doesn't try to ball up more of my plant, I can place it in the path of his movement after returning him to the sand. He will take hold of the leaf and ball it back up again so he can eat it.

4633E728-C322-4B6C-A277-2C6C6DCF437E.jpeg 5BE530CC-BA6B-4CF6-90BC-9C0F400FC72A.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had starfish successfully in a 13.5 gallon, and I probably have the exact tank you are talking about so I had to target feed. I leave very small pieces of white shrimp or fragments of freeze dried krill that are dosed with amino acids meant for corals slightly buried in the sand directly in theirs paths so that they can intercept it. Target feeding them by pushing it into them or placing them on top of it can often scare them away. I have found that starfish have a big appetite for a piece of food that has a drop of something with an amino acid base in it, practically running towards it. It kind of makes sense, because corals like amino acids to develop their calcareous skeletal structure, and starfish also have a calcareous skeleton. If your tank has any amount of film algae on the sand they will eat this as well. Most of these kinds of starfish in my experience are omnivores, and cannot survive with only algae or only meaty foods alone. If your tank has no source of algaes, you can break up small pieces of algae pellets or hikari herbivore and leave them in the sand bed for it to find. Keep in mind, small and few pieces because you don't want any big nutrients spikes.

Also, my tank originally had two starfish, and one died to sensitivity of a product called reef buffer. Just sharing because I believe starfish don't like this product in small tanks!

This is my starfish in a 13.5 gal reef tank and he has successfully been living here for quite a while. As you can see, he loves to eat my beautiful plants. I have had great success in target feeding him and he has never shown any interest in my anemones or corals as a source of food. I should however probably start feeding him algae pellets again, as my caulerpa isn't meant for chomping!

After detaching the leaf that has already been damaged by his digestive enzymes so he doesn't try to ball up more of my plant, I can place it in the path of his movement after returning him to the sand. He will take hold of the leaf and ball it back up again so he can eat it.

4633E728-C322-4B6C-A277-2C6C6DCF437E.jpeg 5BE530CC-BA6B-4CF6-90BC-9C0F400FC72A.jpeg
Great advice

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been spot feeding my sand sifter with reef roids. I use a Coral feeder to inject the reef roids under it. It will immediately stop and dig down into that area. I've tried pellets etc. but it's either not interested or the shrimp grab them first. I may try the amino acid trick too.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I have one and def. caught him munching on my zoa frags. I've had him in QT since. Not sure what I'm gonna do with him because the wife and kids love him.

JohnTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please keep in mind that a starfish such as the Chocolate Chip is quite different from keeping a Sand Sifting star. The CC will practically eat anything it can digest and will not normally burrow in the sand in search of food. The SS has a much more selective diet and normally does not feed on corals and macro algae like the CC. Again, I recommend trying several different foods to see which one it will take so it does not starve over time. Reef Roids is also a good suggestion as mentioned in a previous post.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep in mind that a starfish such as the Chocolate Chip is quite different from keeping a Sand Sifting star. The CC will practically eat anything it can digest and will not normally burrow in the sand in search of food. The SS has a much more selective diet and normally does not feed on corals and macro algae like the CC. Again, I recommend trying several different foods to see which one it will take so it does not starve over time. Reef Roids is also a good suggestion as mentioned in a previous post.
Yea I have my checklist of food I am trying. I got some clam in a half shell that I will chop up to see if he will eat it. So far Krill, Mysis Shrimp, Seaweed Extreme and Algae Waffers are no goes. I am trying Blue Zoo Aquatic Fish Food mix today.

Shadowbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true, the SS will likely not eat macroalgae, and will typically only eat what it can find in the sand.

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the same kind. I hope it didn't get air trapped.. it was exposed to air when it was placed in the bag after purchase.. acclimated.. but is refusing shrimp and has a wide open mouth.. filter feeding?

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_214409_1.jpg
    IMG_20210513_214409_1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 115

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true, the SS will likely not eat macroalgae, and will typically only eat what it can find in the sand.
Filter feeding? Spot fed coral food.

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_224007.jpg
    IMG_20210513_224007.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 82

Saltwaterwaisted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been spot feeding my sand sifter with reef roids. I use a Coral feeder to inject the reef roids under it. It will immediately stop and dig down into that area. I've tried pellets etc. but it's either not interested or the shrimp grab them first. I may try the amino acid trick too.
How is your starfish doing? Are you still spot feeding reef roids? Reason Im asking is my star was beside a coral I was feeding and reef roids drifted straight to him. He doesn't move alot since I got him, but he moved more in 1 hour than he normally moves in days. Hoping there isnt some ph issue that maybe burned it or something similar to that.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your starfish doing? Are you still spot feeding reef roids? Reason Im asking is my star was beside a coral I was feeding and reef roids drifted straight to him. He doesn't move alot since I got him, but he moved more in 1 hour than he normally moves in days. Hoping there isnt some ph issue that maybe burned it or something similar to that.

Doing well and put on some size. Feed reef roids a few times a week. Initially he would make a runner when I put the baster under him but now doesn't even flinch.

Not sure what your sand area and depth is but all the reading I've done says supplement feeding is almost always needed.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting experiences. Mine has ignored supplemental feeding in all the forms previously described. Over a year later he still scours the sand and moves around all day. The difference between special grade and Fiji pink is astounding. Gobies, star, and conch are more active than ever.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back