StarkEnt's 20 Gallon Long

StarkEnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 20 gallon long started as 30 gallon tank around 7 years ago. It recently fell into neglect as I was going through law school, but now that I've graduated I'm giving the care and attention it deserves.

Equipment
20 gallon long
2 x Jebao Sw-2
Kessil A150w
Jager Eheim heater
ATO from autotopoff.com
Random HOB with chaeto, filter floss and chemipure blue
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

I'm going to be replacing the light with an AI Prime 16HD, but other than that I am very happy with my setup. Lots of pods from the chaeto, nutrient levels are great, etc. Flow is great in the tank and with how adjustable the Sw-2 is, I feel like I can get any sort of flow pattern I want. If you have any questions about what I'm using, please feel free to ask.

Livestock
I'm planning on keeping it an LPS/softie tank. Right now I have xenia, green star polyps, mushrooms, and an elegance. I plan on grabbing some duncans, a frogspawn or hammer, and some blastos. As for other livestock, I've got a clown and a pistol shrimp. I used to have a goby who died, but I plan on getting another goby to be a new friend for the shrimp. I also plan on getting skunk cleaner shrimp.

Of the things in the tank, the elegance coral and the pistol shrimp are the most noteworthy. The elegance is a recent addition to the tank, but one I'm very excited about. The coral was unhappy and closed up in the store (he had it for 1.5 years. for 1 year it was fine, and for 0.5 year it was upset) so he sold it to me for $10. It looks like its doing well in the tank and its a huge elegance for $10 so I'm happy.

The pistol shrimp is noteworthy because she is about 6 years old by my estimation. She has survived 3+ moves and all sorts of dips and changes in water quality. She's one of my favorites and I'll be sad when she finally kicks the bucket. I haven't had the chance to take a picture because she is very reclusive and likes to stay in her burrow. I am hoping that changes when she gets another goby friend.

Pictures
Lets, be real, this is the real reason you're here right?

fulltank.JPG

Full tank shot. On the left, you can make out the gsp on its plug with its polyps retracted. I had some salinity issues which made the gsp not want to come out, but I fixed the issue and they're starting to extend. In the middle you can see the little frag of xenia. Then there are the two mushrooms, the one on the right is honestly not doing too hot, but I'm not sure what to do. Then above those is the elegance that I am trying to rehabilitate.

rightsidetank.JPG

Right side of the tank, giving you a better shot of the mushrooms and elegance. Directly below the mushrooms and elegance are the entrances to my pistol shrimp's burrow.

xenia.JPG

Closeup of the xenia

elegance.JPG

Closeup of the elegance. Right in the middle of the tank, you can see it recovering from one of its mouth spitting out its guts when I first put it in the tank. It is doing much better now and I will post a progress pic in a few days.

Thanks for checking out my build! I'll be posting updates as I go along and add livestock, buy new equipment, etc. I'll also be sure to give my thoughts on equipment when I buy it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back