Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

You may think what you’re about to read is crazy or a joke. Just hear me out and then let me know what you think.

One week ago I added a starry blenny to my mixed reef (took me 3 months to find one locally). Main purpose was for him to eat some random GHA. Not a big issue, just thought he’d be a good and useful addition. On the same day I added a few very small birdsnest frags and one pretty small ricordia yuma .

Tank had been doing fine until that day; parameters in range and at targets, most corals growing, especially montipora species growing quickly, GSP quickly. Acans, leathers, zoas growing but more slowly. If I’d pick one thing I had not been doing enough of, it would be WCs. Maybe feeding too little. But basically OK.

A few hours after adding the blenny and gluing down the frags, I looked at the tank and saw that two of the small birds nest frags were stripped of flesh, pure white. I assumed random RTN and removed them. No suspicious of the blenny at that stage. Anyway, most of us have had problem frags before. It’s par for the course.

Then… I worked from home the next day and was watching my tank… then saw the blenny swim over and sit on an acro, and then begin biting it. I assumed it was an outlier behavior and let it go. Worried he was hungry so fed a bit of extra nori and flake.

Fast forward 5 days and I’ve had a partial crash which peaked on Friday and now is improving a bit. Half of my SPS all RTN’d and some are still STN. LPS and soft corals, fish, shrimp, snails are still normal. Frogspawn looked angry on Friday but now is normal again. Non-SPS wise, just losing the new ricordia purchased and added also at the same time as the blenny.

I am hoping what has been affected but not died yet will recover. One birdsnest mini colony for example is stripped of flesh in the center/top area, with the lower and interior branches seemingly unaffected.

Here’s the thing…

Yesterday after doing a WC, I was just looking at the tank. And I saw the blenny swim over, sit next to the birds nest, and then aggressively bite at the flesh stripped area at least 10 times. Then he stopped for a minute or two before biting it another few times. After that he swam over and started biting an acro. Then onto an encrusting montipora and started biting. Then my favorite red/green digi. Had you told me this, I might not believe it. I’m even still struggling to believe it after seeing it with my own eyes.

Now every time I watch the tank for 10 minutes plus, I see him do it to some coral at least once.

So I’m wondering if this fish is the root cause of my issue. Ruled a lot of other things out, parameters have been fine though I hadn’t done any WC’s for a while and was worried I had been dosing too much aminos and trace. Fauna Marin ICP tests just became available locally so am running one of those to see if we can learn something (other ICP providers don’t have local presence yet and doing my own overseas shipping is challenging). Hope to have the ICP results in 2-3 weeks. Meanwhile I’ll continue my own routine tests as normal.

Anyway I’ve done an emergency 50% WC yesterday and stopped dosing everything but 2 part. I’ve had the idea of possible chemical contamination in my mind, though if it were a chemical I would have no idea how it would have happened. Running like 400 mL fresh activated carbon. Considering adding purigen and cuprisorb for a day or two just in case. Chemical-Pure isn’t available where I live.

Do you think this semi crash could possibly be due to this crazy blenny? As said based on previous experience and understanding I would have not believed this had I not seen the fish do it with my own two eyes. And the biting isn’t casual nipping. It’s like very aggressive, full mouth biting. Like you how happy and hungry tangs attack nori on an algae clip? That’s how the blenny was biting the coral.

So two questions, one is above. Reiterating, do you think this disaster could be due to the blenny? And second, this is a starry blenny, right? Total herbivore? Just wanting to ensure I bought what I think I did. Pics attached. One arrival in bag pic, one in tank, one still frame from a bite video, and the bite video itself (sorry for the quality, and only catching one bite - sometimes he bites them nonstop over and over, perhaps 10 times - this is just the only one I recorded).

I’ve been pretty depressed over this for the past couple of days, but now coming into the “acceptance, learn from it, and move on” phase. Hence my questions.

I have a lot of live rock and corals, so if it is this fish and he needs to come out, it’s going to be a big challenge to remove him without breaking down down the aquascape.

All parameters and specs available if it would be helpful. Just not posting unless you need them as I’ve already written a long post.

Thank you all.

Adam

5084495F-2262-421F-9511-D72D87C3C068.jpeg 6BC592B0-095B-4A4A-AB1F-E25F599F2CD5.jpeg F021400B-0A5C-4898-A8D8-45A2F9E9D102.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    74.9 MB

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I'm sure that is indeed a blenny not entirely sold on the correct blenny. they don't have a butterfly fin on top for starters, they do get white when they are settling in but it should dark with bright dots
OIP (2).jpg

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s not a starry blenny it’s a leopard blenny - Exallias brevis https://www.fishbase.se/summary/Exallias-brevis.html

“Adults occur on clear coastal reefs, often in bays and semi-exposed habitats (Ref. 48636). Found on the seaward edge of reefs, among corals like Acropora, Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Porites, and Millepora where they feed on coral tissues

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, certainly not a starry blenny, and 100% the cause of the problem.

I've had a starry blenny in every tank I've owned going back 20 years. Best utilitarian fish in the book, next to it's cousin the algae belnny(I just prefer the look of the starry to the algae). IMHO

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful coral eating blenny that sometimes doesn’t do well because they may not take enough prepared foods to survive :( Who knows when he last got a good SPS meal before your tank.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow… Ok, clear. I actually feel somehow better now that the root cause is known, though I am sad about my corals. I knew the blenny looked off when it arrived, there was also a 24 hour shipping delay. I assumed it was a starry with stress related color changes. It was running out of air when I received it, visibly gasping, so I moved it quickly into the tank to try and save it.

I live in Shanghai these days due to work and got this fish online, my location makes the hobby a bit more challenging. This source obviously wasn’t reliable as sold me a starry blenny and delivered a leopard blenny. Advertisement photo attached. They might have not even have known themselves. 100% my fault for ordering online and making assumptions. And moving fast putting something into my reef.

Now to consider, do I try to catch it patiently and risk more damage. Or, do I break my the tank down…

Seems it has a preference for birdsnests, then acros, then montipora species, and the acans.

Hard week but at least some light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks all.

Adam

Attachments

• 9C4DD345-4FBB-4B86-AD80-DB16336C4E28.jpeg
    9C4DD345-4FBB-4B86-AD80-DB16336C4E28.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this sucks but I’m somehow relieved. I had convinced myself of almost every scenario in which I did something wrong or crashed my tank due to this and that, etc. etc. Everything from light settings to temperature to adding too much aminos, etc.

At least I’m not starting over once it’s removed. Though my 50% water change yesterday likely caused more stress than it relived.

Anyway now it’s about getting that fish out, and start the healing process for what’s still alive, and replacement of what’s gone.

Any suggestions for removal? I probably don’t have time to source a trap and wait. Options are nets, or break down my rockwork I suppose?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back